About Us

History

The Good Samaritan Sisters began St Brigid's School, Marrickville in 1887. The Sisters travelled from the City to Marrickville for five years until 1892 when the Parish rented a house for them at 211 Illawarra Road. In 1901, the Sisters bought a property in Despointes Street Marrickville, later building a larger convent. This is now Marrickville Police Station. The Sisters provided leadership and administered the school until the mid 1970s when a lay Principal was appointed. St Brigid's today is one of 150 schools administered by the Catholic Education Office Sydney. It continues to serve the local community, and takes its inspiration from the Good Samaritan Benedictine tradition.

School Crest

The St Brigid's school crest has been developed from the symbol known as the Chiro – a symbol for Christ.

School Motto

The school motto and title of the school song 'Alive In Christ' is based on the words of St Irenaeus: "We are the glory of God when we are fully alive".