St Brigid’s school was opened on 13 May 1923 in Brook Street, Coogee. The parish priest, Fr J Gilbert msc, sought a school for the parish, which had been founded in 1911, and he organised and supervised the construction of the first school buildings. The Brigidine Sisters at Randwick agreed to administer the school and appointed Sr Paul King as founding Principal.

At first, it was a primary school for girls up to 6th Class and for boys to about 2nd Class, with older boys attending the Marist Brothers’ school at Randwick or the later De La Salle school in Coogee. Enrolments grew steadily and peaked at about 260 in the 1930’s. In 1945, the school extended its service to provide secondary education for girls up to 3rd Year (Intermediate). This lasted until 1955, when the school returned to primary classes only.

St Brigid’s joined the archdiocesan system of schools, which began in the mid 1960’s. About 200 pupils was the average enrolment in this decade, with the staff of three Religious and two lay women. Moves to reorganise Catholic schooling in this time led to proposals for the closure of St Brigid’s, but successful resistance was led by the parish priest, Fr R Dando msc, and the long-term principal, Sr Paschal.

Major changes occurred in the 1980’s. In 1982, Sr Anne Fitzpatrick took leave to go overseas in Term 3. Mr William Nolan was appointed Acting Principal by the CEO, Sydney. After sixty years, the Brigidine Sisters ended their administration of the school, and in 1983, Mr Nolan became the first lay Principal. Then, in 1989, the school was moved from Brook Street to 160 Coogee Bay Road, taking over the premises occupied by Marcellin Junior, which had recently closed. St Brigid’s now provided primary schooling from Kindergarten to Year 6 for both girls and boys. In recent years, before and after school care has also been provided.

Major rebuilding and refurbishing of the school was completed in 1998, when the school celebrated its 75th year. The project cost was $700 000. The local community undertook to provide $550 000 and a CEO grant covered the remainder.

In 2009-2010, St Brigid’s again underwent major building works with the construction of a new school hall. The Building the Education Revolution (BER) provided $1 905 000 for the new multi-purpose hall, as well as ICT and classroom upgrade. The hall was officially opened by Senator Matt Thistlethwaite on 12 August 2011.

Over recent years, enrolments have been on the increase. In 2014, St Brigid’s is a single-stream school with 228 pupils from Kindergarten to Year 6. Technology plays an important role in teaching and learning in the 21st Century, and the students at St Brigid’s benefit from the integration of ICT in the curriculum, including laptop trolleys on each level and interactive whiteboards in each classroom.

St Brigid’s continues to grow from strength to strength. An active parent body works in partnership with teachers to help children reach their potential.