About Us

History

St Aidan’s School began in 1915, a year after the parish of Maroubra was established. At the invitation of parish priest Fr J Morris, the Brigidine Sisters staffed the school, with Sr Paul King as first Principal. The Sisters travelled daily from their community in Randwick, until a separate community was formed in Maroubra in 1934. Sr Paul was Principal for fifteen years.

For the first two decades St Aidan’s was a primary school, beginning with 60 boys and girls, and soon reaching over 200. From about 1934 girls were taught in lower secondary (to intermediate) and from 1958 the school extended to the Leaving Certificate, so that St Aidan’s catered for junior primary boys, and for girls from Kindergarten to Year 5 secondary. In the early 1960s there were about 600 in the primary school and more than 200 secondary girls.

With the Wyndham reforms affecting all schools in the 1960s, the Brigidine Sisters co-operated with Archdiocesan authorities in rationalising schooling in the eastern suburbs. The secondary section became a separate regional school for Years 7 to 10 girls until it was closed in 1988. This meant that St Aidan’s, from the mid-1960s, was a parish primary school for girls to Year 6 and for boys to Year 4. In 1969 there were 418 pupils.

St Aidan’s has experienced some further changes since 1970. In line with Archdiocesan preference, boys now remain here until the end of Year 6. In 1998 three new classrooms and a library were added to the school, which remained a primary school within the system administered by the Catholic Education Office Sydney.
Further refurbishment of the school took place during 2009-2011 as part of the Federal government’s stimulus package, ‘Building the Education Revolution’ with construction of a school hall and new classroom facilities.

Principals

  • Sr Paul King, csb
    1915-18, 1922-33
  • Sr Patricia Hogan 1919-21
  • Sr Margaret Mary Ryan
    1934-40
  • Sr Anthony McGrath
    1940-45
  • Sr Cecilia Carey
    1946-52
  • Sr Claver Sheridan
    1948-52
  • Sr Romuald Walz
    1952-54
  • Sr Philomena Cleary
    1954-59
  • Sr Clare O’Connor
    1960-62
  • Sr Kevin Dennis
    1963-65
  • Sr Bernadine Maguire
    1966-68
  • Sr Alexius Bugler
    1969-70
  • Sr Roslyn Marks
    1971-74
  • Sr Joan Dynan
    1975-77
  • Sr Kathleen Dwyer
    1977-88
  • Donna Craigie
    1989
  • Sr Annette Mansour, csb
    1990-2000
  • Sr Chanel Sugden
     2001
  • Bernard Carey
    2002- 2011
  • Mary Farell
    Interim Principal 2011
  • Leonie Palmer
    2012 -