Our School

A Brief History of St Anthony's School

In 1917 the foundation stone of the original Church-School was laid. This building now forms the lower part of the school. St Anthony's School opened as both a primary and secondary school with about 45 students in 1918 run by the Sister's of St Joseph.

In the April of 1922 the second storey of the school was blessed and opened to an enrolment of 220 students. The present Church was blessed and opened in the June of 1927.

At the commencement of the 1948 school year the Presentation Sisters took over the work at St Anthony's from the Sisters of St Joseph. With the closure of its secondary wing in 1962, St Anthony's became solely a primary school in 1963. The first lay teacher, Miss Fran Putell was appointed in 1965. The school was extended and the building renovated in both 1975 and 1991.The last Presentation principal, Sr Julia O'Sullivan resigned from St Anthony's in the August of 1992 and the first lay principal, Ms Gail Gill appointed in January 1993.