About Us


The parish of St Columba’s and the Holy Souls began its life as Balmain Catholic Cemetery from 1868 - 1903. Many families moved into Leichhardt and the surrounding districts in the 1890’s and the demand for education grew so the church/school was built in 1898.

The Sisters of St Joseph travelled from their home in Renwick St Leichhardt to teach the children. The Sisters brought with them the strong tradition of Mary MacKillop whose desire it was to be with and support ordinary people and especially educate their children in the teachings and traditions of the Catholic faith.

In 1933 the Parish was officially established and the school buildings were added over the years. A convent for the Sisters was built in 1956 but was converted to a pre-school in 2007.

The first lay Principal was appointed in 1995 after almost 100 years of religious leadership from the Sisters of St Joseph.

A school/parish hall was built in 2009 with funds from the Federal Government and the parish church was refurbished in 2011.