About Us

Our History

The sisters of St Joseph of Orange, California opened and led St Catherine Labouré Catholic Primary School, Gymea from 1954. St Catherine Labouré Catholic Primary School began with 33 pupils in Kindergarten and Year One. In 1977, the school was the first Archdiocesan primary school to be led by a lay Principal when the Josephites found difficulty in providing Sisters and had to withdraw from the school.

Parental support was important. The first timber building was erected with the help of much voluntary labour from the parish. A major setback in 1972 was the destruction by fire of the original wooden school block. By 1975, however, the parish was able to replace it with a new two-storey brick building.

The newest classroom block, housing 4 classrooms was opened in 2009.

The latest addition was the construction of a school hall in 2010. This building was named Benedict Hall, after Pope Benedict XVI.