The College‎ > ‎

College History

Vineyards and a winery, owned by the Dreis family, once occupied the land on which Patrician Brothers' College now stands. After 1945 the district population grew rapidly, with many of the new residents being immigrants. Fairfield Parish was established in 1946 and there was a need for a Catholic boys' school. Mrs. Dreis agreed to sell their ten-hectare property to the Archdiocese of Sydney on very generous terms, and in 1952 the Patrician Brothers' Council agreed to a request from Cardinal Gilroy to establish on it a Primary and Secondary School for boys on the current site. 

Construction of the original school building commenced in August 1952, and Patrician Brothers' College began in January 1953. Early enrolment figures were for 170 boys (although this may not have been at the opening). The first staff consisted of Brothers. Peter Johnson (Principal), Kevin Samuel and Eugene Kelly. Although the school was originally classed as an Intermediate school, in 1961 classes were extended to the Leaving Certificate, so that it became a full Secondary School. 

Enrolments were strong, reaching 740 in 1960, and overcrowding became a real problem. In 1963 two classes had to be taught at Smithfield, and in 1967 the average primary classroom held 60 pupils. Inspectors also commented on the need for rooms for art and craft. All this was made worse by the fact that in 1967 the school had to add a Sixth Form (Year 12) to conform to the 
Wyndham reforms. In 1969 enrolments reached 1043. To meet these urgent demands a new Years 11 and 12 wings was built in 1967, incorporating six classrooms, two Science laboratories and an Sdministration section. 


The growing demand for Secondary Schooling had forced the Archdiocese to try and organise Catholic schools into a system during the 1960s. Patrician Brothers' College joined this system and because a regional Secondary School for the Parishes of Fairfield, Cabramatta, Villawood and Smithfield. Another change was that government funding became available. This allowed for the employment of an increasing number of lay teachers. In 1969 there were 13 Brothers and 12 Lay teachers in the College. 

In the next two decades Patrician Brothers' College was consolidated as a boys' Senior Regional College. It established a strong record of academic and sporting excellence. In 1996 a major program of refurbishment and construction began which changed the face of the school forever. The buildings were finally complete in 2000 and officially opened that year by Cardinal Edward Clancy. The new millennium brought yet another change for the College, as the first lay Principal is appointed for 2002, Mr. Michael Krawec.
 

After 53 years of Quality Catholic Education for Year 5 and 6 boys throughout the Fairfield District, Patrician Brothers’ Primary Schooll closed its doors at the conclusion of the 2006 school year.

In 2007, after 5 years of leadership, Mr. Michael Krawec left the College. Mr. Wayne Marshall was appointed Acting Principal and in 2008, Mr. John Killeen was appointed as the new College Principal
.