Mobile Phone Policy
1. Objectives -‐ Policy Statement
Patrician Brothers’ College Fairfield supports the use of emerging mobile phone and other electronic device technologies for educational delivery and personal development. The emerging technologies of electronic devices are a part of everyday life and can add value to a student’s educational experience if appropriately incorporated into the learning program. However, use of some functions of mobile phones is inappropriate in the College environment and can be disruptive to student learning and infringe upon student and staff privacy and safety. The College does not accept responsibility for any electronic device that students bring to the College. Mobile phones and other electronic devices should not be left unattended.
2. Audience and Applicability
The policy applies to student use of mobile phones and other electronic devices within the College environment.
3. Potential Threats
The major issues relating to the use of electronic devices in the school environment include:
4. Appropriate Use
The following outlines the appropriate use of Mobile Phones and other electronic devices in the College environment:
5. Inappropriate Use
The following uses of mobile phones and other electronic devices are prohibited:
Patrician Brothers’ College Fairfield Mobile Phone Policy Revised December 2013
6. Procedures for Inappropriate Use
In the event of student misuse of a mobile phone or related electronic device the following procedures apply:
6.1 Classroom Misuse
• If a student uses a mobile phone or other electronic device other than for educational purposes as prescribed by a classroom teacher, the teacher may confiscate the student’s device and hand it back to the student at the end of that period. The teacher may take further disciplinary action as required.
• If a student refuses to hand in their device to the classroom teacher or is defiant in the use of the device, the teacher will refer the issue to the students Year Coordinator or Pastoral Care Coordinator for further action.
6.2 Other Misuses
• The taking of photographs, recording of video or audio at the College is prohibited. A breach of this policy will be reported to the Pastoral Care Coordinator or Assistant Principal and will result in a confiscation of the student’s device to be locked in the College safe, and may result in suspension from the College with a parental interview or in extreme cases the students enrolment at the College being reviewed.
• The accessing of inappropriate material from the Internet on an electronic device will be reported to the Pastoral Care Coordinator and may result in a confiscation of the student’s device and suspension from the College with a parental interview.
• The use of electronic devices as a means of engaging in cyber-‐bullying will be referred to the students Year Coordinator or Pastoral Care Coordinator and dealt with as per the College Anti-‐Bullying policy.
7.1 College Staff
College staff have a responsibility:
Students have a responsibility:
5.3 Parents and caregivers
Parents and caregivers have a responsibility: