About Us‎ > ‎

School History

The School opened with 28 pupils in Miranda church-hall January 1950. The Presentation Sisters (Wagga congregation) who had recently established a convent in Sutherland agreed to staff it. The first Principal, Sr. Ambrose O’Shea PBVM, taught First and Second classes, while Sr Joachim Keane taught Kindergarten. Classes were added each year until 1954, when it extended to Sixth Class for girls and Third Class for boys - older boys would go to the De La Salle School at Sutherland. Meanwhile in October 1951, the Parish of Miranda was established and Fr Henry Slattery appointed as the first Parish Priest.


Fr Slattery galvanised the Parish into building a small school, which was opened in 1952. The Presentation Sisters withdrew from the school and were replaced by Sisters of St Joseph of Orange, California. These Sisters had recently come to Australia and in 1948 had established a convent and training house in nearby Yowie Bay.


By 1960 the school was crowded with 330 pupils taught by four sisters and two lay teachers. A major building program resulted in a new two-storey wing in 1963 and extensions completed in 1967. There was no government funding therefore school building and maintenance from 1950 to 1970 relied almost completely on donations of money and labour from the Parish.


The interest of the people was clear as enrolments in 1969 peaked at about 550, the highest in the history of the school. Government funding from the late 1960s relieved some of the pressure on the people. The first wooden building was demolished and replaced by four new classrooms in 1978. More teachers could be employed, thus reducing class sizes.


In 1977 the Sisters of St Joseph of Orange California ended their 26 years of leadership and teaching in the school, and the Catholic Education Office appointed Mr Bill Buckley as the first lay Principal. In 1989 the school and Parish were saddened by the death of Fr John Stack their Parish Priest and supporter over three decades.


From 1981 Our Lady Star of the Sea is co-educational from Kindergarten through to Year 6.

In recent years the school was refurbished. At the beginning of 2010 the extension on the library and the new multi-purpose room were completed and ready for use. The COLA (Covered Outdoor Learning Area) and new rubber surface further enhance our school. This work was completed with a grant through the Building the Education Revolution Project and was opened in March 2010 and blessed by Bishop Julian Porteous.


Comments