In 1950, while still part of the Sutherland Parish, a small school was established at Miranda, staffed by two Presentation Sisters. In 1952, Miranda Parish was established and the Sisters of St Joseph of California took over the running of the school, with a new school building being completed. As the school grew, new buildings were erected. In 1978, the first lay Principal was appointed.
The school has been refurbished in recent years. At the beginning of 2010, the extension on the library and the new multi-purpose room were completed. The COLA (covered outdoor learning area) and new rubber surface further enhance our school. This work was completed with a grant through the Building the Education Revolution Project (BER) and was opened in March 2010 by Senator Doug Cameron and blessed by Bishop Julian Porteous DD VG.
The cross stands in the centre reflecting our Christian beliefs and the fact that Jesus is central to everything we do at Our Lady Star of the Sea. The waves, which were inspired by our school name, lap at the cross and show the clear link and bond that Our Lady had with Jesus, her son. The star, also inspired by the name of our school, sits above the sea, watching over all who use it, guiding the way. The school name and motto have been included in the round border, which signifies that God has no beginning and no end. (Rochelle Ingram 2002)
About Us >