History

Our Lady Queen of Peace School was founded in 1925 when Gladesville was still part of the parish of Ryde. Fr Edward Gell, the parish priest, invited the Sisters of Mercy (Parramatta Congregation) to staff the school. Opening day was 13th October.

It began as an infants and primary school, taking girls from Kindergarten to Sixth Class and boys from Kindergarten to Second Class. The first Principal was Sr M Xavier McLenaghan. The original enrolment is unknown, but the Catholic Directory for 1927 records 141 children, and by 1930 there were 233. Enrolments have fluctuated ever since, although they have generally been close to 200.

Learning and teaching conditions in the 1960s were difficult because of noise coming through classroom partitions and from the increasingly busy Victoria Road. In the late 1960s Our Lady Queen of Peace School became part of the system of schools managed by the CEO, Sydney. Sr Patricia Dawson, the last Mercy Principal, oversaw the completion in 1974 of a new school further away from Victoria Road.

The Sisters of Mercy ended their leadership of the school in 1977, when the CEO appointed Mr Warren Hopley as the first lay Principal. Another change from the 1980s was the continuation of boys’ education to Year 6.

In 1998, a development project began for the purpose of providing more classrooms, shade protection, and improvements to the library and to administration and staff facilities. On 25 June 2000 the new and refurbished buildings were blessed by Bishop Peter Ingham and opened by Prime Minister John Howard.

In 2004 the parents provided funds to upgrade the play equipment, with a new soft-fall surface and additional equipment. During 2010, as a result of the Federal Government, Building the Education Revolution funding (BER), four new infants classrooms were built and the staffroom and library were upgraded.

Today, Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Primary School is a dynamic community with seven classes and an enrolment of over 190 students. It is part of the Inner Western Region of the Sydney Archdiocesan Catholic school system.