History

Our Lady of Mt Carmel Primary School Mt Pritchard is established since 1952.

MOUNT PRITCHARD in the 1940s was a rural settlement on the outskirts of Liverpool, most of the farmers being Italian. The nearest Catholic churches and schools were at Liverpool and Cabramatta. With the government promoting housing in the Liverpool area, the parish priest of Liverpool, Father John Collins, purchased a property on Cabramatta Road where Mt Pritchard Oval now lies. This became the out-station Mass centre, known as St Peter's. This also signals the beginning of a Catholic school in Mt Pritchard Area. In this hut in 1953 the Mt Pritchard Catholic school was opened - known as St Peter's primary school. The staff was two sisters from Sisters of Charity. Since then, the Sisters of Charity have been associated with the school development.

From the humble beginning of only one fully enrolled student, the school grew to 253 students by 1960, and extensions had to be made to the original building. However, it was the Housing Commission developments in the area that saw the growth and prosperity of the school. Due to the increase in population from the Housing Commission developments, in 1960 Mt Pritchard became a separate parish. A proper Catholic church was opened in 1962 next to the school. By 1963 the name of the parish and the school had been changed to Our Lady of Mt Carmel (OLMC).

A temporary setback to the school occurred in 1964 when fire destroyed a section of it. Rebuilding of the school took place with assistance provided by the local community and by the parish of North Leichhardt. Meanwhile the demand for the school remained very strong, and by 1969 enrolments had swollen to 718, with teachers having to cope with very large classes.

Enrolment then dropped to about 400 in the 1970s. The spread of new housing estates in the 1980s again saw the enrolment climb again to new heights, and by 1988 had reached 930 students, making OLMC one of the largest primary school in Sydney. Further school accommodation was required so this resulted in the transfer of classrooms from the original site near the church. During the late 1990s enrolments settled back to about 850 and the school remains one of the larger primary schools in Sydney, with four streams and co-educational from Kindergarten to Year 6. In 1998 there was a large staff of 57 teachers, with the Sisters of Charity still providing the principal.

A new building began in 1998 which provided the new classrooms refurbishments, a technology room and a new administration/staff area. This project was completed in 1999. It was blessed and opened on the 14th November of that year.

After 17 wonderful years as leader of the OLMC Catholic Primary School community, Sr Gaye Reynolds retired from principalship. In 2007, Mrs Debbie Heckenberg was appointed the first lay principal.

Early in 2009, the Federal Government announced the Building Education Revolution and National Pride programs and this initiative provided all schools nationally with significant financial support to upgrade and renew school buildings. OLMC was fortunate to receive permission to build 12 new classrooms in 3 Flexible Learning Spaces and a new Multi-purpose School Hall. Occupation of the Learning Spaces took place in Term 2 of 2011. The renovation of older classroom facilities into new toilets, canteen and music room was completed in January 2012. The Blessing and Opening Ceremony took place in 2012.