History of our School


In 1949, the then priest of the Cronulla parish, Monsignor James Donovan, proposed to establish a building on the site of the current school to be used as a church and school. He proposed this to cater for the Catholic population of Caringbah, who at that time had to travel to Cronulla to take part in parish activities.

The construction of this building was completed in 1949 and was dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima. This became a Church and a school in 1950. The new school was staffed by dedicated nuns from the Order of the Sisters of Mercy. The enrolment on the first day was 78. The staff consisted of Sister Mary Malachy McGrath and Sister Mary Chanel James. The Sisters travelled each day from the Convent in Coast Avenue, South Cronulla (where Stella Maris is today).

As part of the Jubilee celebrations in 2000, Sister Mary Malachy described the first day of school back in 1950:

"Apart from a few pictures, there was nothing in the way of resources. An Admission Register and a few roll books arrived from the Department of Education and this meant 'we were in business'. Moreover, we had each, a table and a chair".

Since these humble beginnings, Our Lady of Fatima has continued to grow and established itself as a well-respected school within the Sydney Archdiocese.