Our School

Principal’s Message

Dear Parents,

At Blessed Sacrament Catholic School, Clifton Gardens we strive to develop in our students a sense of purpose and personal worth. Together we seek the most effective ways of providing our children with an environment in which Gospel values will be presented as the foundation for total human development. These values provide the basis for a confident and hopeful outlook on life.

We aim to develop the whole child within a caring and affirming environment. As a school community we need to work together for the total development of the children and meet their needs academically, spiritually, socially and emotionally.

The staff are enthusiastic, dedicated professionals who strive to provide effective teaching practices and create an environment that is beneficial to the students’ learning and informed by the principles of 21st century pedagogy.

The knowledge and technological age has transformed the concept of being educated and Information Communication Technology is a valuable learning tool. To cater for all abilities, programs are differentiated and students are engaged in activities that are authentic and related to real life tasks. We recognise that learning is life-long.

Growth and development comes through positive interaction between teachers and students and through your continuing support of the Principal and Parish Priest.

We value the contribution of parents and friends who assist the school in many ways. We look forward to working in partnership with you in the education of your child.

Louise O’Brien
Principal

School History

Blessed Sacrament was established in 1950 when the Lochinvar Sisters of St Joseph accepted the invitation of the Parish Priest, Father Pierse, to staff the school. Fr Pierse had purchased a large old home in Queen Street to serve as the convent. The school opened with a room inside the convent and grew one additional class each year.

The school quickly became the focal point of the Parish, with the parents very active in its support. The dedicated teaching of the Sisters continued in spite of the overcrowded conditions which existed before the two school buildings were completed, the first in 1955 and the second in 1966. Then, at long last, the Convent became a private dwelling for the Sisters. The school remained under the direction of the Sisters until 1983 when Mrs Kathy Campbell became the first Lay Principal with a mainly lay staff.

In 1991 the Convent building was refurbished to include classrooms, library and offices and was dedicated to the then Parish Priest, Fr Phibbs. Following recommendations arising out of the School Review and Educational Audit in 1995, plans were put in motion for a more extensive redevelopment of the grounds to maximise available space. The result was the building of a new classroom block which enabled the site to accommodate a full one-stream school. Refurbishment of the other buildings also took place and work was completed in March 2000.

In 2010, a new multi-purpose hall and learning resource centre were constructed through BER Federal government funding. The original house was refurbished to include new offices and meeting rooms. In 2014 all classrooms were upgraded and refurbished. 

Facilities

Our school has wonderful facilities to enhance the provision of a stimulating and engaging education for children. There are two classroom blocks, an administration area with several meeting rooms, a newly built multi-purpose hall, and a learning resource centre. There are two areas (one undercover) for play, sport and other physical activities. The students access Rawson Oval (a short walk) for sporting activities each week.

The Parish Church is located a short walking distance from the school (on Bradleys Head Road).

Information Communication Technology

The school has desktops and laptops in every classroom and also in the learning resource centre. Wireless internet access allows the utilisation of technology across the school site. Our multi-purpose hall is fitted with state of the art audiovisual, lighting and sound system.