History

The Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVDP) was founded internationally in 1833 by Frederic Ozanam. The organization quickly spread and in 1926 the SVDP Tacoma-Pierce County District Council was incorporated. As the organization grew so did its need for financial support. In 1961 SVDP acquired property at 4009 South 56th Street in Tacoma. It is at that location where the first thrift store was built and remains to this day. Over the years SVDP has opened and closed stores throughout Tacoma and Pierce County.

In addition to the stores, SVDP has a number of affiliated conferences that bring aid to people in need. Some of these conferences have been around for decades and others have only recently started. The conferences are the hand and feet of the organization. They visit people in their homes, meet with them in offices and anywhere else they are called to go. There are currently 16 affiliated conferences in Pierce County.