Home‎ > ‎

HISTORY

CENTER MORELAND UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
History of Methodisim to  Centermoreland

1771 Francis Asbury comes to America and becomes a leader of American Methodism,
From 1773 to 1784 there are no districts, nothing but a list of appointments.
1784 Francis Asbury ordained as a Bishop and the first Methodist Episcopal Church of America was organized in Leesburg Virginia

After the organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1784 we, have presiding elders, but their districts have no names given to them until 1801.
 
1786 before Luzerne Co was created, Northmoreland Township originally included areas we know as Monroe, Eaton, and part of Franklin. Very vexing when you are browsing through those pre 1890 census records. The same is true of Exeter Twp., as it originally included the areas of Ransom and Franklin

1793 On a trip from Maryland to New York, Bishop Asbury establishes “Circuit Riders” throughout the northern counties and townships.
1802, the Church is divided into seven Conferences - the Western, South Carolina, Virginia, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and New England.

1814
the following appear as preaching places: Kingston, Plymouth, Bedford, now Truxville, Dallas, C. Conkle's, J. Whittock's( ??? ) in Northmoreland, Wilkes-Barre, Hanover, Stoddartsville, Jacob's Plains, Pittston, Providence, Carver's, New Troy, Newport, and Leach's in Abington. Note: Can find no other historic refference to Whittock's.  If "Whittock's" was a misspelling of "Whitlock's", then the location would have been Lockville ( a community with a store, mills, and post office on the then current main roadway from Center Moreland to Suttee/Falls).

1818
  Centermoreland was reached by the preachers from Wyoming
1819   The first Methodist services held in Center Moreland  (called classes) were organized at the Pace Family home by a Circuit Rider in the previously called “West Moreland Society” until 1782, thereafter it was called the “Northmoreland Society”

1821  A division among Methodist class members in the Northmoreland Charge at Center Moreland  resulted in the building of the local Presbyterian Church.   In 1874  the church closed and members became members of the new Presbyterian church at Bowmans Creek in Monroe.
The road was known as Presbyterian Hill Road but was many years later changed to Levitt Hill Road.

1825  Northmoreland Township included Monroe, parts of Eaton, Franklin, and Exeter.

1828  A division among Methodist Episcopal’s , moved by insistence on Lay Representation, resulted in the formation of the Methodist Protestant Church. In the Nothmoreland Charge, there was such a division at the Dymond Hollow Class that prodded the Dymond Hollow Methodist Episcopals to move their services to a new location.

1829 Center Moreland builds its first Methodist-Episcopal church. A single story, one room building, basically the same as most one room schoolhouses of that time. It's location was where the church currently stands.

1840  
Center Moreland Methodists take possession of their first Parsonage. Contrary to some history notes, the 1850 "DEED" states:  A home situated on 1.5 acres of land from church member, Samuel G Smith, for the sum of $50.00  Again NOTE that the church records show that it did not start keeping records until 1860

1842
Wyo County was formed and Franklin got trimmed out of Northmoreland

1844  Another division among Methodist Episcopal’s, concerning the question of slavery and the powers of the General Conference versus the Episcopacy, resulted in the formation of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

1845 the Oneida Conference was redistricted, a new district being formed, called the Wyoming. Wyoming District comprised Wilkes-Barre, Wyoming, Northmoreland, Skinner's Eddy, Tunkhannock, Springville, Abington, Lackawanna, Carbondale, Canaan, Salem, Lackawaxen, Honesdale, Bethany and Mount Pleasant, Beach Pond, and Mehoopany.

1847
, August  -Northmoreland Circuit Riders held their first Camp meeting on land owned by George France, three miles back of New Troy (Wyoming) , and again in 1851 and 1852. The first meeting resulted in fifty conversions

1847
  The Center Moreland Methodist Episcopal Class applies for incorporation and charter into the Methodist Episcopal Church. In lieu of being a “Class”, it becomes known as “Northmoreland Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church”.  Trustees signing the petition were: Jacob Webb, Wm Moore, John Proynton, Samuel Herron, Samuel G. Smith, Thomas Pace, Henry Pace, and D.B. Rogers

1848
Pastor Stafford was the assigned Northmoreland Circuit Rider. His wife stated that she would see him once a month unless she traveled with him. Centermoreland was just one of (22)twenty two stops by the Circuit Rider(Preacher) on his 100 mile round trip circuit. Due to many factors, of which weather was only one, actual preaching at many stops occurred during the week and was seldom on a regular established cycle of time.

1860
The Center Moreland Parsonage burned and was rebuilt . Also, official church records began to be kept.

1860
  And now the Northmoreland Charge consisted of the following Circuit Rider stops/Classes: Northmoreland - Unison(Union ie Orange) - Eaton - Thurston Hollow - Lockville(Dymond Hollow) - Greens Woods(Vernon) - Monroe(Beaumont) - Phenix(Stull) - Marsh Creek - Bowmans Creek - Lake - Jackson - Michegan(near what is in 2014 known as Camp Orchard Hill).  The Michegan Class was held in the Michegan School and was discontinued in 1878

Every Class had a Class Leader, a large Class had an assistant Class Leader, at (4)four of those stops there was a Local Preacher that often preached on alternate Sundays at one of the other churches. There were also (3)three desiginated “Exhorters” . Exhorters always met with the Circuit Rider Preacher and would on regular Sunday Service, tell the regular attending members what the Preachers Lesson/Sermon was about. Remember that the Circuit Rider might show up on any day depending upon his services for weddings, funerals, baptisms, weather conditions, horse or wagon problems/delays, and etc. Hopefully, he showed up once each month.

Charges would eventually be broken up into smaller Charges as more Preachers became available and the Circuit Rider format as originally started would be eventually be down to two to four stops. With improved roads and automobiles, the churches would be easily visited every Sunday.

1861
  Marsh Creek closed or dropped from charge
1862  Michigan class added to the charge and Bowmans Creek dropped. Also, the Green Woods class name was changed to Vernon
1865 The Jackson class added to charge
1867  The Lake class was added to the charge and the Jackson class was dropped
1868 The Phenix class closed or was dropped from the charge

1869  Center Moreland builds a new church and it is dedicated on 17 Feb 1870. It’s cost was$3,000.00 and the funds needed were raised that day. You will note that the entrance was at the end facing the road.  The first church building was sold to the Township School District. It was moved to the bordering property and attached to the Center Moreland School which made it a two-room schoolhouse.

1872 
The Union Class was transferred to the Carverton Charge and the Michigan and Lake classes  were closed or dropped from the Center Moreland charge
1874  The property on which the church had been built, originally owned by E.V. Poole, was finally formally deeded to the church from William Harrison for the sum of $40.00 for 1/4 (one quarter) acre of ground. Note that a copy of this deed was not on record or in possession of the church until the year 2016.

1882
  Thurston Hollow was transferred to the Eaton Charge
1889 Centermoreland Methodist church builds the bell tower. Trustee SG Smith, from whom the church bought the 1st Parsonage property, rang the church steeple bell for the first time.

1890
  name changed from Northmoreland Charge to Center Moreland Charge

1890  Northmoreland finally comes into its present boundries

1891  Dr. Boston leases to the Center Moreland M.E. Church a property containing about 2340 sq ft of land. The liabilities, benefits, and privileges  of said land to belong to the M.E. Church and its successors in office provided that they abide by the following conditions: The Church Trustees and their successors covenant and agree to erect or cause to erect upon such land a good and substantial shed for the use of the church. Said shed is to be made in a good workmanlike manner, to be planed on the outside, painted,  to be roofed with shingles or something equally good, and to be kept good repair during the continuance of this lease.  They also agree to put up a line of hitching posts from the shed along the line of said C.L Boston's land at a suitable distance from the line fence to the public road with rails connecting the post so to prevent horses from injuring said line fence.  No compensation or time limit set on the lease  except that contained in the above contract is required.   There is no note of when the Horse shed was removed but there are several pictures that show it.
Note: there is a newspaper article that states that the ash pile at Winter’s Store was hauled to the church for use in the horse shed.

1892  Noxen, Stull, and Exeter joined the Center Moreland Charge
1896  Demunds joined the Center Moreland Charge

1896  the Center Moreland church was raised and the basement was built at cost of $650.00

1902  The first time that records show that there was a Preacher every Sunday at Centermoreland

1904  The Center Moreland Charge includes Beaumont,Vernon, Dymond Hollow, Demunds.

1912  General Conference recognized Mother’s Day  as a new holiday.

1926
Approximately 1/2 of the Parsonage property, bordering Creamery and Ripplebrook Roads was sold to Clarence Schoonover, and the  church parsonage was remodeled

1934 The Conference Year was changed to be 1 May to April 30th

1935  Centermoreland Pastor, Rev Fedor Ether (1934-1936) and some church members attend the "Sabbath School Conference" held at the Noxen ME Church

1936 The Center Moreland Charge includes Dymond Hollow, Demunds, and Evans Falls

1938 Center Moreland Church sponsors Boy Scout Troop 336

1939  Many of the Methodist Protestant Churches and the Methodist Episcopal Church South are united with the Methodist Episcopal Church and the name is changed to Methodist Church.

1947 The Charge included Center Moreland, Dymond Hollow, Demunds, and E. Dallas
1948 The Center Moreland Charge includes Dymond Hollow and East Dallas

1949 The organ was a gift from the Moosic Methodist Church when they purchased a new pipe organ. It came without a motor and blower unit, which Center Moreland purchased for $150.00 from the Spencer Turbine Company of Hartford, Conn..

1951  the Conference Year became from 1 June to May 31st

1955 the first Auction and barbecue was held in anticipation of acquiring the funds needed for church renovations.  Note that 10% of the proceeds were always given to Conference Missions.

1956 the school building, including 1 acre of property was purchased in Sept 1956 and is now used for Sunday School ($975.00)
           A small enclosure containing a commode was placed in the basement as a bathroom. It was along the wall that is nearest to the school property. It is likely that there was not one prior to purchasing the school property because the septic tank is located on that property.

1956  Combined chicken BBQ and Auction, would continue until 1995. 1996 was BBQ only and the last one held  on the church grounds

1957
Funding program begins so that the church would be able to go through extensive remodeling.

1959  The land area that included the horse shed was purchased by the church from John Kadilak, previously owned by Clarence Besteder and prior to that it belonged to the Kehoe estate who got it from Dr. Boston.

1959 Initially
, the proposed vision of the new church was to have a new entranceway still at the front, facing the road.   Apparently the building codes prevented it from becoming so close to the road.

1959  A addition to the church basement became the storage and furnace room. This freed up the area previously occupied by the furnace, to become the Kitchen.
 NOTE: Purchasing the land right behind the church extended the property line out to match the Schoolhouse line and was necessary because this addition to the church would have been on the land owned by J. Kadilak.

1959 Results were that the front entrance was removed , turned the sanctuary around, installed carpeting and new pews. The church bell was replaced by chimes.

1959 When the pews were removed, they were stored in the school house. Shortly thereafter,  Stanley Weaver used them to make the tables that are kept at the church pavilion. Whitey Schoonover remembers helping Stanley.

1959  Proposed by Don Rought and Bill Race, a floor shuffleboard court was installed on the wooden floor of the basement Family Room

1960  another plot of ground (16,451 sq ft ie .3777 acre) was purchased ($750.00) prior to Aug 15th 1958 this property belonged to J. Kadilak, and earlier to J. Kehoe. This piece of property put the rear property line on a line with the School property.

 1960 The Chancel window was designed by the MYF

1960 The church bell was removed from the tower and stored in the Sunday School building.

 The project was completed in early 1961.  The $55,000 bill was funded by $18,000 in pledges, $18,000 from Auction Barbecue proceeds, and a $19,000 bank loan. The 10 year bank note was paid off in 3 years.

1961 official restatement of Articles of Incorporation filed to have the  name changed from Methodist Episcopal Church to United Methodist

1964  On Nov 1st, the note/loan papers for the church remodeling were burned at a rededication ceremony.

1972  4.4 acres of land behind the church was purchased from Frank & Lea Smith, at a cost of $6,200.00 . the upper (S west) end of the property boarders on RT292. Prior to Dec. 1954, this property had belonged to W. Leland Gay

1972  due to hurricane Agnes, only the barbecue portion of the event was held.
         The parsonage was remodeled again

1974  The property of the first Parsonage was surveyed

1974  Sunday School building remodeled with storm windows installed

1975 Church expansion proposed but rejected by congregation
     Church allows Little League Association to make a ball field behind the Sunday School on property purchased in 1972

1976 The Conference Year was again changed, now the year is 1 July to June 30th

1976  Remodeled church kitchen: new cupboards, two double stainless steel sinks, and a ten burner with double oven stove.
        Also a porch is put on the Sunday School building
1979  A new parsonage was built at a cost of $20,137.00 on the church property bordering RT292.        The old parsonage was sold
A big portion of the mortgage was paid with proceeds from the yearly Auction Barbecue event and was paid off in June 1981

1980  A new furnace was installed at the church
1981  new paneling installed in the Fellowship Hall, courtesy of Til Weaver
          A public address system was installed in the Sanctuary, paid by memorial funds

1982  Aluminum siding put on the church, $925.00
1982  Storm windows installed on church, $2300.00
1982   driveway graded $500.00

1983 The large columns at the church entrance are replaced with aluminum columns
1984  Ceiling fans installed  (provided via memorial)
1984  A new sign is erected, donation by church member

1985  Sunday School building renovated (incl electric heat donated by a church member), otherwise renovations cost $4876.92
1986  Wooden floor in church basement replaced with concrete, paid by a church member

1987  church roof replaced
1987 Centermoreland Athletic Assn. takes on maintenance/caretaking of ball field

1989  new basement storm doors installed  and new aluminum siding on Sunday School building

1990 thru 1996  Dymond Hollow Church helps with Auction Barbecue event

1991  Trustees broke ground for the installation of an elevator in the church. The porch, entrance way, and sidewalk were required. Total cost of $34,270.00.  Donations and Memorials totaled $4,482.00 and the balance came from Auction Barbecue proceeds.
It was ready for use in July 1992

1991  all carpeting replaced in the Parsonage - $4755.00
1992  The Center Moreland Charge: Center Moreland, Dymond Hollow, and East Dallas

1993  In July, the deck was installed on the Sunday School building and the roof was added later. The project was completed in the summer of 1994 at a cost of $4,189.00

1993  Emergency lighting system installed in church
1993  PennDot roadside clean-up agreement signed

1993    Pew cushions obtained (provided via memorial)
1995 Church basement (Fellowship Hall) was remodeled with storage area for tables, hangars for chairs, new paneling, and painting. Cost $10,502.00

1995  Feb., Boy Scout Sunday, The church was honored with a plaque from Troop 336 for 50 years plus of sponsorship
1996  August was the 41st and last year of the Auction Barbecue, but only the barbecue portion of the event was held.

1996 The original church bell was restored and mounted on a pad that was placed on the lawn in front of the church. The cost was $1236.00 and was paid for with memorial funds.

1997  On Nov 15th and 16th, the church celebrated its 150th year of the signing of its charter.
1997 A new Public Address system is installed
        At the  Parsonage, the hot water heater replaced and new carpeting installed downstairs

1999 Florence “Til” Weaver, retires as the church financial secretary, after 45 years of service   (1954-1999)

2000  May, CMUMC conducts its first “National Day of Prayer” anually through 2015

2000 Doors were replaced and "panic" hardware installed at a cost of $9,995.00
2001 Electronic piano obtained  (provided via memorial), and the BBQ pit is removed, new concrete pad put down to make a pavilion

2002  A new chime system was installed at a cost of $6,509.00, paid by funds from Memorials
       Also new shingles on Parsonage roof and replaced the cold water tank

2002  Boy Scout Troop 336 assumes maintenance and care taking of the ball field  
2003  The 40plus year old carpeting in the church  was replaced in October. $4,400.00

2003  Elevator repaired at cost of $1140.00
2003 (April) An exterior lighted church sign is purchased at a cost of $4,854.89, paid from memorial funds

2004  The church roof was replaced in June at a cost of $7,339.00

2005  The East Dallas UMChurch is closed and the Center Moreland Charge is just Dymod Hollow and Center Moreland

2005  In July, an Air conditioning system was installed at a cost of $13,700.00 that was paid by the Dorey Besteder estate. Also, Parsonage water pump replaced

2005  Bob Horlacher Memorial LL Assn takes over maintenance of ball field

2005 Center Moreland UMC celebrates the 225th year of Sunday Schools
2007  PENDOT, per state laws, required that the church make changes in its driveways because there were more entrance/egress access than allowed one property owner within the frontage distance on the roadway. The church was required to close the driveway on the Sunday School property and to erect a sign implying that use of that area was solely at risk of the user.
     Further, the use of (2)two driveways at the church would be acceptable only if they were designated for one-way use. The signs, required to meet state standards, were obtained and erected on November 1, 2007 at a cost of $700.00

2007 new washing machine at Parsonage
2008  Ultra Violet water treatment system installed at Parsonage.

2008  Plan formed to completely remodel the school house, heating, bathrooms, etc.. Congregation affirmed the project

2008  Bob Horlacher LL  Girls Softball Assn now takes care of ballfield

2009 RENOVATIONS:  July 6th thru 10th  ,  cost of $19,425.00
       A.   New parking lot at the rear of church, between the parsonage lot and the ball field.
       B. Metal roofing installed on the Sunday School building
       C. Grading of grounds around the Sunday School building to manage the water runoff from the new parking lot and driveway.
       D. Installation of underground drains on the north side of the Parsonage

Oct 2009  School House remodeling project is suspended for new direction of main church addition.

2009 
   repaired floor including replacment of floor joists in the Schoolhouse "1st room".
2010 A new refrigerators for the Parsonage and for the Church kitchen are purchased

2010  The Building Committee proposes a new addition to the church. It is to be two stories with 42’ X 38’ added at the back of the church. The top floor to include Nursery, rest rooms, 2 class rooms, and a Church Office. Downstairs would include 3 class rooms, new rest rooms, and a redesigned larger kitchen including a fire suppression system over the stove. Projected cost $415,000.00. The existing Building fund money to be used at that time was $200,000.00, with the balance of $215,000.00 to be financed and the premiums funded by pledges and fund raisers. The Congregation nixed the project.

2010  The church has a Facebook page
2010 August 14th Chicken BBQ held to benefit Building expansion fund drive

2010 November  Church expansion program suspended to await congregations response to fund raisers.
2010 December  10th  Pasta Dinner -fund raiser

2010
   Congregation fails to respond, building expansion project canceled.
        Expenses paid by building fund totaled $7,380.00

2012   Approx. $17,000.00 spent to repair the parsonage (change of Minister)
2013    new lighting in basement

2014
  replaced UV light in water system at parsonage
2014  The church now has a web site:  www.centermorelandumc.com
     
2015  new water heater in church and other repairs  $952.00
2015  Dymond Hollow Church closed (August), and CM received $25,000.00 from their Bldg Fund to add to Center Moreland.  Also got the "Cross and Flame" sign. It matches the one on the CMUMC (both were made by Pastor Munoz), and it has been mounted on the Sunday School Building.

2016
A Baby Changing Station, including lighting and curtain, has been installed in the small room between the Family Room and the stairway to upstairs.
2017  A new chime system has been installed, approx $4000.00 paid by the Memorial Fund

2017
  A large television has been added to the Family room for Multimedia presentations and the cost has been donated.
2017 Per request of the Postal System, a mail box has been installed on the road at the Creamery Road address.

  





web site by John Headley 2014
Comments