Need help with SMART boards at SU? Start here.
How to download and install the SMART Board software
In order to use the touchscreen and digital ink functions of the SMART Board with your laptop computer, you will need to connect the SMART Board's USB cable to your laptop, but first you must download and install the SMART Notebook software. Here's how:
- Visit SMART Technologies' Downloads page.
- Under "SMART Notebook collaborative learning software," click on "Choose a version" and choose your operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux) from the list.
- On the page that opens, click the big green "Download" buttton.
- On the page that opens, fill out the form and click "Start Download."
- When the download is finished, run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
- New Product Key (3/8/2012) When the installer asks for a product key, copy and paste this: NB-SEDAK-ASRRR-CTPUC-S6CAI
- That's it! You've installed the software and you're ready to connect your laptop to the SMART Board USB cable for touch and digital ink functionality in any room with a SMART Board.
- You may also download and install the software on a home or office computer if you would like to prepare your lesson/presentation materials in the Notebook application before coming to class; you don't need to be connected to a SMART Board.
- You can even use Notebook application and the SMART Board Tools application in classrooms with no SMART Board; you'll just be using your mouse or trackpad to interact with your computer instead of touching the board.
- Students, faculty, and staff at SU are all welcome to download and install the software.
- You don't need this software if you only want to use the SMART Board's projector (to show images/video/slides/webpages/documents/etc.) and you are not interested in also using it as a touchscreen or digital ink display.
- If the SMART Board in your classroom is experiencing technical issues (for example, no response to touch), please fill out an Issue Report.
- There are three ways to get fast and free help learning how to use the SMART Board and other SMART products:
- Attend a free introductory training session led by Media Services staff. These will be announced in the SUN-e. Want to request a special session for your department, group, or class? Visit www.su.edu/library/media and click on "Request Group Training or One-on-one Appointment."
- Click here to sign up for Live Online Training at SMART Technologies' Training webpage. These free, instructor-led classes are one of the best ways to learn how to take full advantage of your SMART Board. Media Services recommends taking at least the following live class:
- What if live in-person or online training doesn't fit your schedule, or what if you need immediate instruction or prefer to work at your own pace? You can download plenty of free, self-guided training materials from SMART's website right now. Here are some of our favorites:
- SMART also offers cost-effective training events and on-site training to help educators and staff master the SMART Board interactive whiteboard and other SMART interactive products. SMART's new PD Plus training events include a half or full day of training and a SMART product to take home with you.
Click here for SMART Technologies online support.
- SMART Technologies customer service: 1.866.518.6791 (Available Monday to Friday, 5 AM - 6 PM MST)