The New York Academy of Art is a proud to be a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) approved institution. The scope of benefits provided by the Post-9/11 GI Bill make enrolling in the MFA program at the Academy accessible to eligible veterans, regardless of socioeconomic status.
Amounts listed below are for the 2015-2016 academic year. Benefits are awarded proportionately, based on eligibility, as determined by the VA.
- Eligible veterans will receive $21,084.89 applicable toward tuition and fees paid directly to their Columbia student account.
- An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
- A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school, which is approximately $3,759 per month.
Each student has unique circumstances and may be eligible for different levels of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To find out more about your eligibility, and to utilize the benefit, you must apply directly through the VA.
- Complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) and submit a copy of your DD-214.
- Once completed, the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) which will outline your benefits and eligibility.
- It may take the VA up to 10 weeks to process the application. Students should ensure that they address on file with the VA is correct.
- Post-9/11 GI Bill students are encouraged to have a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) on file at the Academy. This will allow the Financial Aid Department to credit the student's account for the expected tuition and fees VA payment as soon as enrollment to the VA has been certified.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.ELIGIBILITY
- You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 90 days;
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
- You are a dependent (child) eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
For more information on eligibility, please consult the Dept. of Veterans Affairs website