Youth and Children's Worker
St Mary’s, Becontree, is an evangelical Anglican Church with a heart for renewal.
We are looking to appoint a person to head our youth and children’s school work, both in the Church and in the community.
We are looking for someone with ideas, energy, enthusiasm and an openness to the Spirit, to move forward existing work and develop outreach in our community.
Effective communication skills, creativity and vision are essential, as is the ability to be a team player.
We will consider applications for flexible working including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
· Three year post
· Salary £20,000 pa plus London Area Allowance
For further details contact Rev Katie Miller on firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: February 13 2019 Interview: February 20 2019
Youth and Children’s Worker Job Description
This post is offered on a full-time basis (37.5 hours per week) for an initial period of three years and potentially renewable beyond subject to mutual agreement and available funding. The post is subject to a three-month probation period and there will be an annual performance appraisal supported by regular supervision. Any offer of employment is subject to references and DBS checks.
The salary is £20,000 with London weighting (dependent on qualifications and experience).
The overall purpose of this post is to co-ordinate and support outreach activities for children and young people in the parish and to organise and develop activities to foster community relationships and fresh expressions of church. The focus will be on the schools in the area, both primary and secondary and developing existing activities and groups in the church including the heritage activity plan. There will be a particular focus on the new school being built in a housing development in the parish.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing existing school and community links and seeking out new links in schools (including a new school on a recently built housing estate) in the parish. You will be required to build up current church activities and clubs, identifying and training volunteers, supporting the team of volunteers who run youth and children’s and be responsible for family events, including working with other churches and external organisations where appropriate, promoting family values in a Christian context.
Aims & Objectives
1. To “Make Jesus Known” among the young people and their families in the parish;
2. To assist young people to foster respect for themselves, for others and for God;
3. To co-ordinate church activities and events relating to young people and the local community;
4. To develop and extend links between St Mary’s parish and local schools;
5. To seek to establish fresh expressions of church with a focus on family values.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Support existing church activities and groups;
2. Review existing church activities and groups;
3. Identify and ensure training is available for volunteers;
4. Develop and maintain links with local schools, and other youth organisations;
5. Plan and produce assemblies and lessons in schools and other activities as negotiated;
6. Develop after school clubs, drop-ins and mid-week activities;
7. Develop fresh expressions of church where appropriate with a focus on schools;
8. Be an active member of the staff team at St Mary’s, praying and worshipping, and representing the youth and children’s community work on church leadership teams;
9. Keep up to date with developments in youth and children’s work in general and specifically within the parish;
10. Undertake any other appropriate duties as agreed with Vicar/Supervisor and leadership teams.
1. Commitment to children and young people and schools;
2. A mature Christian faith;
3. Openness to the Spirit as one;
4. Excellent communication skills;
5. Leadership skills;
6. A team builder and team player;
7. A willingness to participate fully in the life, work, worship and values of St Mary’s;
8. A formal qualification or proven track record in youth or children’s work.
Professional and Personal development
1. networking with other workers in the deanery/area/diocese and beyond and
2. taking opportunities for training and
3. taking time out for spiritual nurture: retreats or quiet days.
Timings for these to be agreed with your supervisor.
Supervision and Support
1. Supervision and prayer with Vicar/Supervisor as agreed;
2. Regular reports to the PCC and leadership teams;
3. Regular participation in staff meetings;
4. Prepare and maintain a personal development plan, to include appropriate personal development opportunities and training, and agree this with Vicar and Supervisor. (replaced by above category)
Applications should include a CV, details of two references and a personal statement addressing the above points. The closing date for applications is 13 February 2019.
Applications and accompanying documentation should be sent by email to email@example.com