Journal Writing Topics for September
(Prompts for developing Personal Narratives)
Directions: Select and write at least one paragraph on one topic in your journal notebook. Paragraphs should be a minimum of 5 sentences and include a topic sentence, body and closing sentence. Remember to provide supporting details, sounds, tastes, smells, dialogue, thoughts and feelings to help develop your personal narratives.
· Describe a dream that you had recently.
· The best lesson my grandparent (or parent or any relative) ever taught me was …
· Tell about an event in your life that has caused a change in you.
· I was most angry when …
· Describe your perfect vacation.
· My worst mistake was …
· Describe one time when you were brave.
· Think of a time when you’ve won something. Tell what you won and how you won it.
· Describe the worst day you ever had.
· Describe the best day you ever had.
· Describe the time you laughed the hardest.
· Describe your most embarrassing moment. What made it so embarrassing?
· Describe a situation when you felt left out. How did you handle the situation?
· What is the most difficult problem you’ve ever had? How did you solve it?
· Describe a situation in which you buckled under peer pressure. Are you proud of what you did?
· Describe a situation that made you very angry. How was the situation resolved?
· Describe a special time or adventure that you have had.
· Describe a childhood memory.
· Tell the story of an event in your life that seemed bad but turned out to be good.
· Describe a time when you achieved a personal goal and how it felt. Tell how you met your goal and why the goal is important to you.
· Describe a snow day off from school that your remember. Tell what you did and how wonderful or bad the day was.
· Describe your experiences on the first day of school for any grade and what impressed you most about your experience.