Human papilloma virus (HPV) is known to be an important factor in the development of invasive cervical cancer and other malignant and bening neoplastic lesions, affecting the vulva, vagina, anus, penis, head/neck, lungs and external genital area. Vaccination against particular strains of HPV has been recently made available; however, the actual cost-effectiveness of vaccination strategies (specifically, in our case, using the quadrivalent vaccine, which acts against 4 HPV strains) is generally subject to large uncertainty.
The aim of this research project is to investigate the cost-effectiveness of several vaccination strategies using Bayesian Markov models (eg like the one described in the graph below), a tool that is particularly relevant in health economic evaluation to describe the natural history of a disease (and its management). Cost and clinical utilities are attached to each clinical states.
We are developing a comprehensive research programme, which aims at investigating complex structures describing the characteristics of the disease as well as potential differential strategies for the application of the vaccination.
- Favato, G., Capone, A., Mennini, F.S., Baio, G., & Marcellusi, A. (2013). A novel method to value real options in health care: The case of a multicohort human papillomavirus vaccination strategy. Clinical Therapeutics, 35(7), 904-914. doi:10.1016/j.clinthera.2013.05.003
- Mennini, F. S., Marcellusi, A., Baio, G., Haeussler, K., Favato, G., & Capone, A. (2013). Loss of health utilities due to HPV-induced diseases in men and women: a multicenter Italian study. Value in Health, 16(3), A38.
- Favato, G., Capone, A., Baio, G., Marcellusi, A., Mennini, F. S., et al. (2012). Novel health economic evaluation of a vaccination strategy to prevent HPV-related diseases: The BEST study. Medical Care, 50(12), 1076-1085. doi:10.1097/MLR.0b013e318269e06d
- Baio, G. et al (2013). Erratum: The Bayesian Model on HPV Vaccination in Italy Lacks Transparency (Medical Care (2012) 50 (1076-1085)). Medical Care, 51(4), 378. doi:10.1097/MLR.0b013e31828a6a1e
- Baio, G., Capone, A., Marcellusi, A., Mennini, F. S., & Favato, G. (2012). Economic burden of human papilloma virus-related diseases in Italy. PLOS One, Accepted for publication.
- Mennini, F. S., Baio, G., et al. (2012). Governance of preventive Health Intervention and On time Verification of its Efficiency: the GIOVE Study. BMJ Open, 2(2), e000736. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000736
- Development of the BEST II study, in which we account for the impact of herd immunity (ie the more people are vaccinated, the lower the force of infection, by effect of the increased proportion of individuals who are protected by the vaccination). This is the object of a PhD thesis.
- Presentation at the iHEA conference (Dublin, 2014)