We're Swimming through 5th Grade!
Important Dates to Note:
March 25 - Mini Medley Relay Race for Tigers in Motion (Meet at Central School at 7:45am)
March 29 - Spring Pictures
March 29 - Visit to North Stanly Middle School
April 1 - Robotics Competition
April 7 - Report Cards are sent home
April 11 - Cultural Arts Field Trip
April 11 - Egg Drop STEM Activity
April 12 - Field Day
April 13 - World Health Day
April 14-23 - Spring Break
New NC Grading Scale:
A = 90-100
B = 80-89
C = 70-79
D = 60-69
F = below 60
How Can I Help My Child???
1. Make sure your child is reading DAILY!!! This is the single-most important thing to help your child become a better reader. I know schedules keep us busy, but even having your child read for 10-15 minutes each day is beneficial. Make your child stick to the same book (preferably a chapter book) until he/she finishes it. Talk about the book together.
2. Make sure your child is doing his/her homework EVERY night. This includes nightly reading, math, spelling (HW due Tuesdays, quiz each Wednesday), and studying science & social studies vocabulary (see Science Resources page for voc.).
3. Encourage your child to read EVERYTHING to you. Make him/her do the work. Have your child practice math in daily situations (grocery store math, elapsed time, fractions in cooking, etc.).
4. Use web resources to practice and reinforce skills that have been taught. (Especially as the EOG tests are approaching!)
5. Have your child review his/her notes from reading, science, social studies, and math classes. Remember EOGs and Final Exams are cumulative and include all topics/skills taught during the year!
Please use the website listed below to practice various skills that students will be learning this year in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies:
(Click above to see the English/Language Arts Common Core Standards for 5th Grade)
Responsibility - Mallori W.
Good Judgement - Jada P.
Self-Discipline - Anna Lynn C.
Kindness - Trey G.
Perseverance - Ethan V.