College Application Process
1. Apply online. (Colleges prefer this method.)
2. Apply early for early decision. (Check online for early decision at your desired college.)
3. After you apply online, bring the counselor recommendation page to Miss Leigh. If there is no
counselor form, bring Miss Leigh written verification that you have applied. Include your name and the
name of the college or university in which you have applied.
4. She will send your transcript, a school profile, a recommendation letter, and a copy of the SC Uniform
New this year - There will be a fee of $10.00 charged for each additional transcript request over three colleges.
5. Allow a week to process your request. Pay close attention to college deadlines.
6. If you are applying to a college out of state, please write down the address of the admissions office
and give this to Mrs. Allen.
7. Give this information only to Miss Leigh. If she is not in her office, please sign up to see
her. She will come to you. (NO sliding it under the door!)
8. If the college is requesting teacher recommendations, ask your selected teachers, in advance, if they
would be willing to recommend you.
Other College Information
1. We request that students submit copies of all college/university acceptance letters, military
appointments, and scholarship awards to Guidance. This is regardless of the student’s acceptance to
2. Students are allowed four days for college visits. These are counted as field trips. Students need to
inform teachers in advance, as well as Mrs. Cady in attendance, and bring documentation of the
college visit to Mrs. Cady upon their return to school.
3. Fee waivers – In order to receive a fee waiver, you must qualify for free or reduced lunch by meeting the
federal income guidelines. Fee waivers may be used to pay for the SAT or ACT, college application fees,
NCAA Clearinghouse registration, and one CSS/Financial Aid profile application. Free and reduced
applications must be on file at GTCHS in order to qualify.
Thinking an online college may be an option but not sure where to start? Try this link.
MARCH - FINISH YOUR FAFSA BY MARCH (At least that's what the folks from CofC, CU, and USC say...)