MoonBots 2011‎ > ‎

Robots In Action

You'll be able to follow our prototype process here as we make videos and post pictures about the robots we are making. Enjoy!  There are also great pictures and videos posted in our X-Blog
August 13, 2011 - Okay, we scrapped the 4x4 drive system Matthew was working on because we couldn't get enough power using the worm gear. We still love you Matthew, but it just didn't work! This is our new robot...finished with just 5 days to program! I know we'll do great ::gulp::


           








 








     


Just in case you missed these in our blog we have re-posted some of our videos right here: 

Harrison Explaining How the Robot Works

Testing Color Sensor and Switch Block Program



















August 3, 2011 - Matthew is busy building the new 4x4 drive and steering 'cage' as we have begun to call it. It is a mixture of a few different ideas we got from online after watching tanks, monster trucks, SUVs, and other cool vehicles made out of LEGOs. We never thought of using the Power Functions motor and that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, we don't have the battery case and will need to buy one. It will also add a lot more weight to our already heavy robot. 

  
  

The other picture is of our cage and element collector. It works 80% of the time and the other 20% of the time it knocks the element over. So far our design can only pick elements up when they are upright. We also aren't too sure about the cage that we built. It is really big and bulky.













July 29, 2011 - As a solution to our friction problem we made our first attempt at making a powered caster for the rear. We quickly learned that without proper support the weight distribution will cause the robot to snap in half -- literally!

Video Blog of Driven Caster on Robot

    

July 27, 2011 - This is one of our prototypes using two tank treads and two large tires. Unfortunately, the friction caused by the rubber does not allow it to make smooth turns and sometimes causes gears in our drive train to pop out. Yikes!


Prototype in Action


    









This was our prototype using 4 tank treads. 
  

Comments