Photo Album

Contact Us

MoonBots 2011‎ > ‎

Robot Design - CAD

NOTE: IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE IT WILL GET BIGGER 

We updated this area with our CAD images of the robot chassis, drive train, attachments, and camera mount. Mr. Ricky Jordan from Dynetics is helping us as a mentor for both SolidWorks and LEGO Digital Designer. Ms. Elizabeth Morse from SolidProfessor is providing free training for us. How cool is that? I hope we make them proud!

ROBOT & CHASSIS

August 13, 2011 - Our Robot...Yay! We had 23 different prototypes and only just got one that can turn and go over the craters. We have five days to program this beauty. 

 
Disco-Bot
This is a side view. Gives a nice look at how the pieces of the different elements come together. 


This shows you the direction that we can lift the arm. And it looks cool too.


Belly of Disco-Bot
This is Disco-Bots belly up - which is how he was a lot during our program testing. 



August 11, 2011 - Okay, we have finally agreed upon and somewhat tested this drive train. Major shout out to Sariel for the ideas from his Range Rover and Jeep! Not sure we would have figured this out otherwise.


This is what the drive train looks like with all of its parts intact. It is smooth and was instrumental in getting us over the craters. Those triangle lift-arms ARE MAGIC!!


This is a close up look inside the gear box we built. We used knob gears, medium grey gears, and 'baby' gears, and three axles. Viola! Instant 4x4 system.



July 15, 2011 - 
This is a preliminary look at our first CAD designs for our robot chassis. 

The idea is to keep a low center of gravity to help with navigation. Unfortunately, the we were having a lot of trouble with turning this robot and the drive train was very very weak. The color sensor is mounted in front to help detect elements.

ROBOT ARM ATTACHMENTS

August 7, 2011 - This is our final CAD rendering of our robot arm attachment. We combined Mikie's design with Matthew and Diego's.

It works great! It can catch loops from underneath AND through the loops. Using two gears secured with pegs instead of axles on the servo motor really helped with lift and stability. 

Note: Our robot uses yellow small bushings instead of the grey ones shown. 



July 31, 2011 - This is the Element collector arm that Mikie designed. We built it and it was really cool but there were a few problems. 1. Had to be deadly accurate with lining up the robot. 2. The "fingers" were too thick and would sometimes knock loops over and 3. Motor had to work hard with just that one little axle. 

The arm Mikie designed




July 15, 2011 - This is a preliminary look at our first CAD designs for our water and helium 3 collector. It was hard to maneuver and was bulkier than we expected when we finally built it. This was the first time for our team to DESIGN before building. Way cool! 






















OTHER ROBOT ATTACHMENTS

August 15, 2011 - Once we finally had our robot's drive train figured out everything else just fell into place. This is the cage that we hold all of the Helium 3 and Water that we collect. 

We decided on axles for height and didn't add beams around them so that any elements our arm overshot would catch on the axles sticking up. 

Cage for collecting elements
NOTE: the pieces we needed to make this exactly the same as the robot we built were not available in LDD and we ran out of time to make them ourselves in SolidWorks. Otherwise, it is similar. Pieces missing are three square beams that hold the sides together.



July 20, 2011 - We were playing with a few different ideas for mounting the color sensor. This is the one we all liked. We wrote a program that could help the color sensor scan it's enviornment. Though we liked the design, after testing we found that the color sensor has to be withing three centimeters of the element in order to detect it. That was too close for what we wanted to do with it.




July 18, 2011This is a preliminary look at our first CAD designs for camera mount. 

We orginially wanted to have it on a swivel mount and powered by a Power Functions motor so that regardless of what program we ran, or what mission we could accomplish, the robot could swivel the camera around to take a picture of the Heritage Artifacts two feet after dismount. 
Camera Mount and Swivel











update: July 27, 2011 Unfortunately James from LEGO/GLXP said that we couldn't make are robots taller than they were long so we had to scrap it. But we'd like to keep this design and try it out on our home projects. ::grin::
Comments