To register for a volunteer training, fill out the form below. For more information on volunteer jobs, see detailed information at bottom of page.
Mandatory for all new volunteers. Registration Required
New volunteers only need to attend 1 session. Food will be provided.
Tuesday, November 11th from 6:30-8:00pm, Location: College Church Ballroom
Saturday, November 15th from 10:30am-12:00pm, Location: College Church Ballroom
Can't make one of the training sessions? Contact Anne at email@example.com
Volunteer Job Descriptions
Below you will find detailed information about volunteer positions with Xavier Winter Inn. This includes: Dinner Cooks, Set up, Greeters, Innkeepers, Cleaners, and Laundry Drivers
Dinner Cooks (Max 3: 1 soup; 1 sandwiches; 1 chips and cookies)
· To purchase, prepare, and deliver the evening meal on Wednesday and Thursdays for a maximum of 16 people when shelter is open.
· Meals may be prepared at the cook’s home and warmed upon arrival. Meal should consist of sandwiches and one crock pot of soup or stew or chili and bread.
· The volunteer bringing "chips and cookies" may bring another type of dessert or side items-- this is just a general guideline.
· Cook should deliver meal and have it ready to serve by 6:00PM.
On Site Shelter Teams
Set Up ( Min of 4 people) 4:30-6:30PM
· Prepare the site for the guests
· Obtain keys from the coordinator to open shelter for the night
· Locate and know how to regulate thermostats and lights
· Set up cots and bins
· Assist with setting up intake and buffet tables for dinner
· Lock all doors to other parts of the parish center before guests arrive
Greeters/Hosts (Max 6) 6:00-9:00PM
· Welcome and greet guests with the Guest Information and Agreement sheet and assist in completing Guest Intake Card
· Familiarize guests with the facility: cot area, restrooms, and restricted areas
· Answer any questions guests may have
· Clean up supper tables
· Warp up and put away all leftover food: store in freezer
· Visit with guests during dinner
· Engage in conversation or activity with guests after dinner
Innkeepers (2 per evening: 2 males over age of 20) 8:00PM-7:00AM
· Review the guest intake cards to be familiar with any necessary guest information, medical needs, issues, emergency numbers and site coordinator on duty.
· Review log book for any new information
· Know location of shelter supplies
· Know how to locate and operate thermostats, phones, and fire escape routes
· Visit with guests during dinner and open time in dining area
· Dim lights in sleeping area by 8:30PM
· Turn lights out at 10:00PM
· Complete morning duties
· Record any issues/concerns in shelter logbook and inform a shelter coordinator
Cleaners (Min 4) Thursday and Fridays between 7:00am-2:00PM
Laundry Driver (1-2 individuals); this is a pick-up and delivery job; Day: TBD
· Pick up laundry from the week at Parish Center
· Coordinate laundry drop off with Americorps in Soulard
· Drop off laundry at Americorps