Bloomindale School Social Worker "Feelings Teacher"
Welcome to the Bloomingdale "Feelings Teacher" site.
What you will find on this site:
1. Events and meeting dates for activities related to the "Feelings Teacher" on the calendar to the right.
2. The Social and Emotional Learning Curricula used with students Kindergarten through 5th Grade on pages organized by grade found at the links on the left side of this page.
3. Parent resources to help parents with all kinds of concerns and issues related to raising children in the 21st century at the links on the left side of this page.
4. The Four Agreements and the Golden Rule that we follow in our building, as well as the Five Needs and the 7 Compassions which are all the basis for our Whole Class Social and Emotional Learning curriculua can be found below on this page.
5. Information about Student Council, the Bloomingdale Ambassador Program and the Big Buddy Program at links on the left side of this page.
The Four Agreements:
1. Be Impeccable With Your Word: Don't say or think mean things about others or about yourself. Only say and do things that are nice, true and helpful.
2. Don't Take Anything Personally: Nothing others do is because of you. Do not let the words or behavior of other people hurt you. Choose to believe kind words and thoughts about you.
3. Don't Make Assumptions: Do not guess about what other people are thinking or why they are doing something. Be brave enough to find out the truth about what is going on. Talk with others as clearly as you can to keep from confusing others about how you feel.
4. Always Do Your Best: Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy from when you are sick. If you always do your best you will feel good about yourself.
*these were adapted from Don Miguel Ruiz's Four Agreements to be in language that is age appropriate for elementary students.
The Golden Rule is our 5th Agreement:
Treat Others the Way You Want to be Treated.
The Five Needs:
Power: We all choose behavior to experience recognition, success, importance, achievement, sense of control, skills.
Fun: We all choose behavior to experience enjoyment, excitement, laughter, learning, being challenged, and change.
Belonging/love: We all choose behavior to feel loved and needed, to feel respected, to make and keep friendships, to share and cooperate.
Survival: We all choose behavior to experience safety, to have shelter, clothing, food, warmth, health, relaxation and rest.
Freedom: We all choose behavior to experience freedom of choice, independence, freedom from...and freedom to....
*This was adapted from Dr. William Glasser's Choice Theory
The Seven Compassions:
1. Be Here Now
2. Be Aware of Your Thoughts
3. Know Your Authentic Self or Know the Who of You
4. Strive For Balance
5. Practice Gratitude and Forgiveness
6. Let Go
7. Shine Your Light
*used with permission from IMAGinE Compassion○
We teach and use all of these Social and Emotional theories and practices as a way to help students live happy, healthy and productive lives.
Saranac Lake Central School
79 Canaras Avenue
Saranac Lake, NY 12983