Due to the advanced nature of Skagway's students, assessments are designed to check student's learning, reinforce main ideas and important details, and show your student's positive growth over the course of the class.
Each Social Studies unit includes each of the following assessments:
1. Formative: As a teacher, I check for understanding on a daily basis with class warm ups, class discussions, and weekly check ups on content and skill progress
2. Summative: These are the activities that receive a letter grade and are calculated into your student's final grade
- Homework checks: P/F, has your student completed homework assignments?
- Classwork assignments: P/F, has your student participated in class i.e. have they turned in assignments that we worked on together in the classroom?
- Unit Content Notebooks: A-F, graded according to rubric included in each notebook; has your student learned and practiced the content?
- Unit Review Projects: A-F, graded according to rubric included with each project; has your student developed and practiced course skills?
Each semester course also includes large major assessments to help show growth and provide the teacher with data on what has been accomplished and what must be retaught:
1. Midterm Exam - A-F, graded according to accuracy i.e. has your student answered each question correctly? Covers half of the class material. Focuses on large course ideas, themes, and information.
2. Final Exam - A-F, graded according to accuracy i.e. has your student answered each question correctly? Covers the semester's most important ideas, themes, and information.
Due dates are given before each Unit Content Notebook, Unit Review Projects, Midterm Exam, and Final Exam.
Study guides and in class study time is provided for each Midterm Exam and Final Exam.
If you or your student ever has any questions please feel free to contact me.