Third and fourth grade students who have been identified as those who possess above average ability, task commitment, and creativity will be invited to participate in OPT3 (Original Product/Type 3). These students will receive training in the use of the Independent Investigation Method (IIM) in order to conduct independent research. They will be provided with the time, space, materials, and resources necessary to undertake and execute an original project. Students will present their work to an authentic audience upon completion. The goals of OPT3 enrichment are:
· To provide opportunities for applying interest, knowledge, creative ideas, and task commitment to a self-selected problem or area of study
· To acquire advanced level understanding of the knowledge and methodology used within a particular discipline, artistic area of expression, or interdisciplinary study
· To develop authentic products primarily directed toward bringing about a desired impact upon a specified audience
· To develop self-directed learning skills in the areas of planning, organization, resource utilization, time management, decision-making, and self-evaluation
· To develop task commitment, self-confidence, and feelings of creative accomplishment (Renzulli, Reis, 1997)
Renzulli, J.S., & Reis, S. M. (1997) The schoolwide enrichment model: A how-to guide for educational excellence. Mansfield Center, CT: Creative Learning Press.