Template Change Log
- Updated August 25, 2013
- Added "Collecting" Loop and Pin page to the Template. It was either missing or it is somewhat new.
- To add to your website you should follow the steps below...
- go to one of the academic pages
- click more > click Save Page as Template > rename it "Belt Loop Template"
- once you have the template ready and saved, create a new page
- Name it "Academics - Collecting"
- Put it in the "advancement/academics-sports/" folder of your file structure
- use the template you created earlier > then create the new page
- copy and paste info from this page to your new page on your website.
- You will also need to save the PDF worksheet to your computer and then upload it to your website.
- Made a change to the Tiger Den Page. "What the Tiger's are Doing" was changed to "What the Tigers are Doing" In short, I removed the apostrophe. Proper grammar.
- Note that the Wolf Den page refers the boys in the den as Wolfs. You are welcome to change it to Wolves. I have elected to not change my website or the template. See the Wolves vs Wolf''s thread in the Users Group for an explanation.
- Updated June 11, 2013
- Organized the File Structure as it relates to Advancement Trails
- This organizes your file structure and cleans it up a little
- Minor changes to the front end navigation sidebars
- Backend... Placed the Trails, Electives, Activities, Loops & Pins in one folder called "Advancement"
- They were previously filed in the respective Den Folders and it was tough to get a grasp on the location for new webmasters. It was unorganized.
- Older versions need to do nothing unless you suffer from "File Organization OCD"
- If you wish to organize your file structure to reflect these changes (30 minutes or so)
- create this page - no need to link it to your navigation. Just create it for file structure purposes.
- Click More > Manage Site > Pages > Find and Drag each of the "Trails, Electives, Activities, Loops & Pins" pages to the new "Advancement" folder. (You'll find the pages under the respective Den folders.)
- Tip... I needed to rename the "Advancement" Page to "M Advancement" to put it in the middle of the structure for dragging purposes. When I was done dragging files I renamed it back to "Advancement"
- changed the page titles to clean up the navigation bars
- changed the URL of each page by (going to each page) clicking More > Page Settings > and changing the Page URL box near the bottom. The URL's were not correctly named for the OCD minded webmasters
- Update the Site navigation like I did on the original template (look at the "Advancement Sidebar" near the bottom of the page, also look at the new "Electives, Activities, Pins Sidebar" (So I did make some front-end changes.)
- Overall this provides a better file structure, cleaner page names, and better URL's. But again. Not necessary to worry about if you have an older version.
- If you have version 3.0.1 these changes are included in your website already.
- Updated April 29, 2013
- Leader Training is now directly in the template. No more sharing training folders.
- Training is now under the "Become a Leader" link and all training is now public.
- This replaces the "Strong Leaders" section.
- If you have a Strong Leaders Section you don't need to do anything, use the documents that were shared previously in Google Drive.
- If you want to upgrade (suggested) you'll need to create two new pages and copy the information from the original template into your website...
- Create a new Become a Leader Page > Copy and paste the text from the template to your new page
- Create a new Pack Specific Training page > use the "List" Template > place it under the "Become a Leader" page in the file structure > Copy and Paste the header > Use copy and paste to make both lists exactly the same (you will have to copy and paste each field in the list separately.)
- Place a link to "Become a Leader" in the navigation under "Pack Links"
- Delete your "Strong Leaders" pages and the navigation link.
- Your training will now be incorporated into your website and I will update the instructions as needed. So it is also a low maintenance option.
- Updated April 28, 2013
- Google now sets limits on how many people can have sharing permissions to a document.
- Copied all Launch Countdown Instructions to a new folder
- Changed links on Launch Countdown Page to point to the new folder
- Now sharing the new folder with new users
- This should not affect version 2.0.4 of the Template. You should still have access to your Launch Countdown Documents. I just couldn't share them with any new users so I copied them and now I am sharing the copies. This gets around the limits imposed by Google.
- Updated July 18, 2012
- Added a Google Users Group Forum for template users.
- (Suggested by Mark, Pack 154 in St Charles, IL)
- All Template Users are strongly encouraged to Join this Group
- You'll meet other template users and be able to exchange ideas to make your websites better
- Eventually you can search for solutions or for answers to your questions
- Post suggestions to improve the experience for those that follow
- General discussion area to meet others who started a Pack Website
- Revision History Section. We will eventually move our change log to the group forum
- We will add additional categories as needed.
- Also added a Template Users Group page that displays a Group gadget.
- Something you might consider for each of your dens and for the entire Pack.
- We may add this to the template in the future.
- Updated June 21, 2012
- Revised Item 03 of the Launch Countdown Instructions... "Customizing Website Images"
- Re-wrote entire instruction sheet and added access to source images (only for registered users).
- Instructions now include access over 75 .png images making it easier to customize them for your specific Pack
- Instructions include access to source files is you are using GIMP (a free image editing program) or PhotoShop for easy manipulation and customization.
- Updated March 24, 2012
- Added PayPal "Donate" Button to Launch Countdown page and to this page. Note that I very rarely recieve donations. Yet hundreds of Packs rave about the website. Very frustrating.
- Updated April 26, 2012
- Added "Testimonials" Page. If you'd like to be included, complete the form in Item 16 of the Launch Countdown Page.
- Updated March 12, 2012
- Added Template Change Log (1 Page)
- Added Version Number on Launch Page
- Updated Launch Countdown Document - Item 00 - "Read this First"
- Added "Know Your Version" paragraph
- If you don't have a Version Number on your Launch Page you are 2.0 or earlier.
- Added Items 15, 16 and 17 to Launch Countdown page
- Updated Launch Countdown Document - Item 09 - "Creating and Using Forms"
- Added Section 4 in case the form doesn't display properly per section 3 of the instructions
- Uploaded to Template Gallery May 2011
- No Updates
- Removed from Template Gallery in February 15 , 2012
Future Revisions to Look For...
- Directions for creating and using "Google Apps for Non-Profits"
- not started
- Probably the best way to start
- Comprehensive Leader Training Program (DONE. See v3.0.0)
- started but tough figuring out the logistics and delivery methods
- Slow due to time constraints and preparing my Pack for the next Scout Year
Have an Older Version?
When you used this Google Sites Template to create your new website you copied the version as it was on THAT day. Any changes (improvements) made to the template (after that day) will not be included in your new website.
Occassionally you should click the "Cub Scout Template" link in the footer of your website and check the "Template Change Log" page for changes or improvements that your website will not include. You might find something you would like to add to your website or find a bug fix. (This is one reason why I request that you leave the link to the template in your footer. It makes it easy to check your version.)
Do You Have Something to Contribute?
If you made improvements to your website that others might find useful, please send a link to your page to firstname.lastname@example.org
and I will consider adding it to the current version of the Template and update this page to reflect the improvement. I also monitor the Users Group and you can post changes you made on it.
Have You Donated to the Template Project Yet?
I would hate to have to charge a fee up front. Support the project if you found benefit from using it...