Troop History

Troop 967 - A Brief History

Daniel Carter Beard

Daniel Carter Beard was born in 1850 in Cincinnati, Ohio. In his youth, his family moved to 322 E. 3rd Street in Covington, Kentucky where Beard loved exploring the banks of the nearby Ohio River and the Banklick Creek region south of Covington. It was during these explorations, that Beard developed his great love for nature and outdoors living. In 1882, Beard wrote The American Boy’s Handy Book, a book which gives instructions and advice on animals, outdoors, knots, tents, fishing and more.

In 1905, Beard founded the “Sons of Daniel Boone,” an outdoor education and exploration program for young men. Boys were organized into “forts,” uniforms were based on the outfits of frontiersmen and in place of ranks or advancement, boys earned notches and top notches for achievements in a variety of interest areas. In 1910, Beard merged his organization (then known as the “Boy Pioneers of America”) into the fledgling Boy Scouts of America and became one of the first National Commissioners, serving Scouting for 30 years.





Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church

Sacred Heart Church was founded in 1957 by Archbishop Karl J. Alter, with Father Hugo Mentink as the first pastor. The first church and school were dedicated in January 1960.  Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, staffed the day-school and taught CCD classes. 


Troop 67

The Fort Hamilton Council of the Boy Scouts of America was founded in 1913 and head quartered in Hamilton, Ohio. The territory of Fort Hamilton Council consisted of Butler County Ohio with the exception of Middletown and Lemon Townships. 

In 1958, Troop 67 was chartered to Sacred Heart of Jesus Church (Fairfield, Ohio) as part of Fort Hamilton Council. Lawrence (Larry) Gersbach was the first Scoutmaster. Effective January 1, 1959, Fort Hamilton Council, #448, Hamilton, Ohio, merged into Dan Beard Council, #438, Cincinnati, Ohio.


Troop 967


In 1963, Dan Beard Council changed the troop number to Troop 967.  Mark Pierson took over as Scoutmaster in 1967/68.  In 1973, M. Patrick Pierson was the Troop’s first Eagle Scout.