Cocoa Beach is now able to select students from the entire county for the IB Programme for the 2014-2015 school year. During 2014-2015, we will be the only school with a 7-10th grade Middle Years Programme within the county. Please see our new IB Boundary Map below!
If the student is entering high school, Melbourne High does have an IB program in addition to Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr. It will be important to find a home that is NOT zoned for Melbourne High if Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr is the buyer’s preference. The best way to be sure, is to enter the address of the prospective home into the “school finder” on the Brevard Schools website:
You would enter the street address of the home and the student’s grade. If the address is zoned for any high school other than Melbourne High, then, if accepted into the program, that student would be all set for Cocoa Beach as her/his choice school, since only Cocoa Beach and Melbourne High have IB programs. For 7-8th graders there is no “gray” area, as there is no school other than Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr High School in the county with a middle school IB program.
Please read all of the below information in blue before applying for the program. This is a new process and the below information will guide you through the new process. Please also join us for parent informational meetings on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 from 6:00-7:00 PM or Tuesday, January 28, 2014 from 6:00-7:00 PM in the Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr High Media Center.
Click the following link to apply: https://brevardflc.scriborder.com/inarea_start
Everyone applying for Cocoa Beach IB Programme should fill out the Choice School application for in area, even if you live outside our Cocoa Beach boundaries. Please do not fill out the out of area application.
Essay Topic for Application: Student is required to write and submit a short (150 words minimum) explanation of why the student wants to participate in this international program. The student must include information about their career goals and future educational plans. This essay will be required to be uploaded and attached to the student's application. The student's application is not considered complete until this essay has been completed and received.
Teacher/Guidance Counselor Recommendations: You will notice as your fill out the application that there is no place to put the names of the teachers and guidance counselor information for the recommendations. Please print out 2 teacher and 1 guidance counselor recommendation forms from the school choice website or from the PDF documents below. Please turn your recommendations forms with envelopes into your student's guidance counselor and teachers. On the outside of the envelope, please write Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr High School, Sarah McCarthy, IB Office. Your student's school will send it through the currier after they have filled it out. The guidance counselor/teacher will sign the sealed envelop to indicate that it is a confidential letter of recommendation. If your school is a private school or unable to send the recommendation through the currier, please place a stamp on the envelop and address it with the below information before giving it to a guidance counselor or teacher:
Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr High School
Sarah McCarthy, IB Coordinator
1500 Minutemen Causeway
Cocoa Beach, FL 32931
Fee: The cost to apply is $30. To ensure that all applications are processed through the website, please us a credit/debit card, money order, or coupon codes. Coupon codes are used for hardship cases only and are distributed by the Central Office of School Choice. The applicant should follow the process to obtain, complete, and submit the fee application waivers on the Office of School Choice website. A coupon code must be received prior to the applicant submitting an online application. If you need any assistance with obtaining a coupon code, please contact the Office of School Choice at 321-633-1000 extension 395.
The Office of School Choice is currently implementing a new online application process to streamline applications for parents and students. Please see the below 2014-2015 Choice Application Calendar for information from the Office of School Choice regarding the new process for applications and also the deadlines.
Students zoned for Cocoa Beach do not have to pay this fee.
Documents to Upload: After your application has been submitted, you should receive an email from Scriborder. In that email will be a link. To access that link you must have your email address that you used to create the application, the password that you used, and the confirmation/order number from after you successfully submitted your application. Once you have input that material, you will be able to upload the below required documents to complete your application.
To upload the correct documents, please refer to the information below.
If you are interested in learning more about the Cocoa Beach IB Programme, please join us for informational parent nights on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 from 6:00-7:00 PM or Tuesday, January 28, 2014 from 6:00-7:00 PM. The meeting on January 14th is for current 6th grade students interested in the program. Information about the new application process will be provided, as well as valuable information about the IB Programme at Cocoa Beach.
The IB Programme is a challenging, rigorous program of international study. Therefore, student acceptance is based on teacher recommendations, grades, standardized test scores, and a writing sample.
2014 – 2015 Jr./Sr. High School Choice School &
Application Process and Calendar
Edgewood, West Shore,
International Baccalaureate & Cambridge Programs
Choice Schools/International Program Application Guidelines:
· Applications are available on-line through the Office of School Choice website at www.brevardschools.org. Please note that students must meet stipulated academic criteria at some choice schools/programs. An out-of-area form DOES NOT need to be completed.
· Students may apply on-line to multiple choice schools/programs with each application requiring a $30 processing fee. Please understand that there are no exceptions to this deadline. Faxed applications will not be accepted.
· Students and parents are encouraged to attend scheduled information sessions at the choice schools/programs to obtain specific information about the array of choice opportunities available. School websites contain information regarding the dates of scheduled information sessions, registration meetings, and lotteries.
· Parents may only sign a commitment letter for ONE choice school/program. The commitment letter is due to the selected school/program by 4:00 p.m. on March 21, 2014
· Students who submit a commitment letter to more than ONE choice school/program will be disqualified to attend any choice school/program for the school year.
· Students must return to their zoned school if a decision is made not to attend the choice school/program (once a commitment letter is submitted). The only exception is if a principal invites a student to attend another choice school/program as openings become available.
· Students will be pulled from waiting lists established from the lottery as openings become available at choice schools/programs as outlined in District procedures.
· Parents may submit a written letter of appeal to the Office of School Choice regarding the determination of ineligibility or wait pool status by May 1, 2014.
The approval of a student to attend a school other than his/her zoned school of attendance for the purpose of attending a choice school or program is valid for as long as the student participates in the choice school/program. A student must return to his/her zoned school of attendance at the end of the semester if he/she no longer participates in the choice school or program.