There shall be an Entrance Examination for M.Sc. Biotechnology (Two Year degree Course – Semester Pattern). The question paper for the entrance examination will be of two hours duration and divided into two parts:
Part A will have multiple choice questions at the level of 10 + 2. The questions will be asked from Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology. There will be 30 questions. Each question will carry one mark (Total Marks for Part A – 30).
Part B will also have multiple choice questions at the level of Bachelor Degree. There will be 10 questions from Chemistry and 60 questions from Biology (Botany, Zoology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Biotechnology). Each question will carry one mark. (Total Marks for Part B– 70).
In order to give an idea about the standard of questions expected to be answered by the candidates, a set of sample questions is given below. However, it may be noted that the pattern of question may change from year to year.
- Cryogenics deals with the study of matter
a) Near absolute zero b) At low temperature
c) At high temperature d) Near zero degree Celsius
- When on heating, a solid becomes vapour without forming any liquid, it is said to have sublimed. Which of the following sublimes on heating?
a) Salt b) Iodine
c) Iron d) Calcium
- Which non-toxic,fast growing cyanobacterium is cultivated in tanks as a protein – rich animal feed?
a) Stigonema b) Spirulina
c) Nostoc d) Oscillatoria
- Beena used a calculator to find the product 0.075 x 2.56. She forgot to enter the decimal points. The calculator showed 19200. If Beena had entered the decimal points correctly, the answer would have been -
a) 0.0192 b) 0.192
c) 1.92 d) 19.2
- Emasculation of the flower means
a)Removal of flower b) Removal of petals
c) Removal of anthers d) Removal of stigma
- The somatic characters which are located on sex chromosome are called –
a) Sex determination b) Sex linked characters
c) Complete linkage d) Incomplete linkage
- In which of the following cellular respiration occurs
a)Ribosome b) Nucleus
c) Mitochondria d) Golgi bodies
- Protein part of the enzyme is called
a)Prosthetic group b) Apoenzyme
c) Holoenzyme d) All of these
- In Gram positive bacteria, the cell membrane becomes invaginated and folded to form structures called -
a) Flagella b) Plasmid
c) Mesosomes d) Peroxisomes
- If the plant cell or the tissue is placed in hypertonic solution the water comes out of the cell sap into the outer solution and the cell becomes flaccid. This process is known as –
a) Turgor pressure b) Wall pressure
c) Exosmosis d) Endosmosis
- The scientist who shared Nobel prize with James D Watson and F. Crick for the structure of DNA
a)Har Govind Khurana b) Nirenberg
c) Maurice Wilkins d) Swaminathan
- The technique to determine the protein binding sites on DNA is called as –
a) DNA fingerprinting b) DNA foot printing
c) RFLP d) AFLP