COMMISSION MEMBERS: Commissioners Paul Pelosi Jr. (President), Ruth Gravanis (Vice-President), Angelo King, Alan Mok, Jane MarieFrancis Martin, Matt Tuchow, Johanna Wald
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Commission takes action on any item.
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the November 24, 2009 Commission Regular Meeting. (See Explanatory Document at the bottom of the page--November 24, 2009 Minutes) (Discussion and Action)
3. Urban Environmental Accord 3: Energy--San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency Presentation (SFMTA) on the San Francisco Community Wide Climate Action Plan and the voter mandated Prop A which required SFMTA to reduce community wide emissions from the transportation sector 20% by 2011. SFMTA is requesting the Commission’s support of its proposal. (See Explanatory Document at the bottom of the page: Presentation) Sponsor: Acting Director David Assmann; Staff Speaker: Calla Ostrander, Climate Action Coordinator (5 minutes); SFMTA Speakers: Marty Mellera, Climate Action Plan Representative (15 minutes) and Timothy Papandreou, Assistant Deputy Director of Planning (15 minutes) (Informational Report, Discussion and Possible Action)
4. Urban Environmental Accord 16: Environmental Health--Consideration of Draft Resolution File 2009-06-COE recommending measures for educating the public on and reducing exposure to radiation from cell phones, including disclosure of radiation information at point of sale. Sponsor: Commissioner Wald; Staff Presenter: Debbie Raphael, Toxics Reduction Program Manager (10 minutes) (See Explanatory Documents at the bottom of the page--Cell Phone Presentation; Draft Resolution File 2009-06-COE, Mayor’s Ordinance Cell Phones—“Retailers’ Duty to Disclose Radiation Levels”; Public Correspondence Received) (Discussion and Action)
5. Urban Environmental Accord 5: Waste Reduction--Consideration of Draft Resolution File 2010-01-COE recommending support of Carryout Bag Rebate Ordinance Board of Supervisors File No. 091211. Sponsor: David Assmann, Acting Director; Staff Presenter: Jack Macy, Commercial Zero Waste Coordinator (5 minutes) (Discussion and Action) (See Explanatory Documents at the bottom of the page--Ordinance File No. 091211, Draft Resolution File 2009-07-COE, Public Correspondence Received)
6. Approval of the Department of the Environment’s Fiscal-Year 2010-2011 Draft Budget. (See Explanatory Documents at the bottom of the page--Draft Budget by Program Area and Detailed Budget) Sponsor and Staff Speaker: Acting Director David Assmann, (Informational Report, Discussion, and Action)
7. Approval of the Commission on the Environment 2009 Annual Report. (See Explanatory Document below: Draft Annual Report) Speaker: David Assmann, Acting Director (Discussion and Action)
8. Annual Election of Commission Officers. (Discussion and Action)
9. Commission on the Environment Committee Appointments. (Discussion and Action)
10. Public Notice of 2010 Subscription and Renewal of Commission on the Environment and Committee Notices and Agendas as required by the Commission on the Environment Bylaws. (See Explanatory Document at the bottom of the page--Subscription Request Form) Staff Speaker: Monica Fish, Commission Secretary (Information and Discussion)
11. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
12. Operations Committee Report. (Information and Discussion)
Chair’s Report: Highlights of the January 20, 2010 meeting and review of the agenda for the April 21, 2010 meeting to be held at the Department of the Environment Eco Center, 11 Grove Street.
13. Policy Committee Report. (Information and Discussion)
Chairs Report: Highlights of the January 25, 2010 and December 14, 2009 meetings and review of the agenda for the February 8, 2010 meeting to be held at City Hall, Room 421.
14. Commission Secretary’s Report. (See Explanatory Document at the bottom of the page--Commission Secretary’s Report) (Information and Discussion)
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
· Communications and Correspondence
15. Director’s Report. (See Explanatory Document at the bottom of the page-- Director’s Report) Updates on Department of the Environment administrative and programmatic operations relating to Budget Planning, Strategic Planning, Clean Air, Climate Division, Outreach and Education Division, Environmental Justice Division, Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction Program, and the Urban Forestry Division. (Information and Discussion)
16. Announcements. (Information and Discussion)
17. President’s Announcements. (Information and Discussion)
18. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information, Discussion and Possible Action)
19. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary; TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
The next Meeting of the Commission on the Environment is scheduled for Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 5:00 p.m. at City Hall, Room 416.
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Commission's website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/environment-commission; (3) by clicking on the agend links, (4) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@sfgov.org within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Commission after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available as links to the agenda or meeting minutes.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
NOTE: Persons unable to attend the meeting may submit to the Commission on the Environment, by the time the proceedings begin, written comments regarding the agenda items above. These comments will be made a part of the official public record and shall be brought to the attention of the Commission on the Environment members. Any written comments should be sent to: Commission Secretary of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 by 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing. Comments that cannot be delivered to the Commission Secretary by that time may be taken directly to the hearing at the location above. When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for the Commission, the Commission Secretary and the public.
At this time, members of the public may address the Commission on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Commission but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Commission for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the President. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the President may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Commission from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Commission is limited to:
The Commission on the Environment meeting is held at City Hall, Room 416 in the Civic Center Area. The Commission meeting rooms are wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for additional information.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
Know your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 25 Van Ness Avenue, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112, web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.