*The Tuesday, September 23, 2008 Regularly Scheduled Commission Meeting has been RESCHEDULED to Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 5:00 p.m.
COMMISSION MEMBERS: Commissioners Paul Pelosi Jr. (President), Ruth Gravanis (Vice-President), Angelo King, Darian Rodriguez Heyman, Jane MarieFrancis Martin, Matt Tuchow, Johanna Wald
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Commission takes action on any item.
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the July 22, 2008 Regular Commission Meeting. (Explanatory Document: July 22, 2008 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action)
3. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
4. Briefing on Olympic Torch Relay Carbon Offsets Program. Presentation on the 2008 Beijing Olympic Torch Relay in San Francisco and Carbon Offset Partnership with San Francisco-based CantorCO2e. (Informational Presentation and Discussion) Sponsor: Director Jared Blumenfeld; Speakers: Ms. Kyri McClellan, Mayor’s Office, Mr. Josh Margolis, CantorCO2e, and Ms. Connie Best, Pacific Forest Trust
5. Resolution supporting the “Integrated Preferred Alternative” Marine Protected Area (MPA) Network for the North Central Coast of California. (Explanatory Documents: Draft Resolution File 2008-15-COE and Supporting Documentation) (Discussion and Action) Sponsor: Director Jared Blumenfeld; Speaker: Mr. Keith Weissglass, Pacific Outreach Coordinator, Ocean Conservancy
6. Yerba Buena Island Habitat Management Plan Update. (Informational Presentation and Discussion) Sponsor: Director Jared Blumenfeld; Speaker: Mr. Michael Tymoff, Assistant Project Manager, Office of Joint Development
7. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Measures List for Rent Capital Cost Pass Through—Approval of Amendments to the Measures List. (Explanatory Document: Energy Conservation and Renewable Energy Improvements List) (Discussion and Action) Sponsor: Director Jared Blumenfeld. Staff Speaker: Mr. Cal Broomhead, Energy Manager
8. Nomination of Commission Officers. (Discussion and Action).
Chair’s Report: Highlights of the Tuesday, October 14, 2008 Operations Committee meeting and review of the agenda for the upcoming meeting on January 21, 2009, at 5:00 p.m., 11 Grove Street.
10. Policy Committee Report. (Information and Discussion)
Chairs Report: Highlights of the Monday, August 18 and Monday, September 22, and Monday, October 20, 2008 meetings and review of the agenda for the upcoming meeting on November 19, 2008.
11. Commission Secretary’s Report. (Information and Discussion) (Explanatory Document: Commission Secretary Report)
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
· Communications and Correspondence
12. Director’s Report. (Information and Discussion) (Explanatory Document: Director’s Report)
Director Jared Blumenfeld from the Department of the Environment will give updates on Department of the Environment administrative and programmatic operations relating to Budget Planning, Strategic Planning, Clean Air, Climate Division, Outreach and Education Division, Environmental Justice Division, Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction Program, and the Urban Forestry Division.
13. Announcements. (Information and Discussion)
14. President’s Announcements. (Information and Discussion)
15. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information and Discussion)
16. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
The next Meeting of the Commission on the Environment is a Special Meeting Retreat scheduled for Friday, November 7, 2008 at the Port of San Francisco, Pier One.
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Commission’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/environment-commission as attachments to the meeting agenda or minutes, ;(3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@sfgov.org within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Commission after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available at the Commission’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/environment-commission as attachments to the agenda or meeting minutes.
At this time, members of the public may address the Commission on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Commission but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Commission for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the President. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the President may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Commission from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Commission is limited to:
The Commission on the Environment meeting is held at City Hall, Room 416 in the Civic Center Area. The Commission meeting rooms are wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for additional information.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
Know your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Frank Darby, Jr., Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: email@example.com. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 25 Van Ness Avenue, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112, web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
NOTE: Persons unable to attend the meeting may submit to the Commission on the Environment, by the time the proceedings begin, written comments regarding the agenda items above. These comments will be made a part of the official public record and shall be brought to the attention of the Commission on the Environment members. Any written comments should be sent to: Commission Secretary of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 by 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing. Comments that cannot be delivered to the Commission Secretary by that time may be taken directly to the hearing at the location above.
When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for the Commission, the Commission Secretary and the public.
Posted: October 21, 2008