COMMISSION MEMBERS: Commissioners Paul Pelosi Jr. (Acting President), Christina Desser, Angelo King, Alan Mok, Arlene Rodriguez and Johanna Wald.
Commission Secretary: Monica Fish
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Commission takes action on any item.
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
2. ACTION: Adoption of Minutes of the January 24, 2006 Regular Meeting. (Explanatory Document: Draft Minutes of the January 24, 2006 Regular Meeting)**
3. PUBLIC COMMENTS: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
4. INFORMATIONAL PRESENTATION and ACTION: Presentation of the list of product categories to be targeted by San Francisco’s Precautionary Purchasing Program and the Commission to vote on a Resolution File No. 2006-07-COE adopting the List of Targeted Product Categories. (Explanatory Documents: Draft Resolution File No. 2006-07-COE, List of Targeted Product Categories, Summary of Criteria used to select Targeted Product Categories, and Summary of Public Process used to select Targeted Product Categories.)
PRESENTERS: Chris Geiger, City Toxics Reduction Coordinator and Alicia Culver, Consultant, EnviroSpec
5. INFORMATIONAL PRESENTATION: Presentation on the Annual Report – Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Program. (Explanatory Document: City and County of San Francisco Integrated Pest Management Program 2004-2005 Program Report.)
PRESENTERS: Chris Geiger, City Toxics Reduction Coordinator and
Phil Rossi, IPM Coordinator, Recreation and Parks Department
6. INFORMATIONAL PRESENTATION: Presentation on Immigrant Power for Environmental Health and Justice.
SPONSOR: Jared Blumenfeld, Director
PRESENTERS: Gordon Mar, Executive Director, CPA and
Antonio Diaz, Organizing Director, PODER
7. DISCUSSION and ACTION: Resolution File No. R-2006-06-COE amending the Commission on the Environment’s Bylaws to eliminate the Commission’s Hydrogen and Renewable Energy Committee effective March 28, 2006 (Explanatory Documents: Resolution File No. R-2006-06-COE and Notice of Proposed Amendment to Bylaws).
SPONSOR: Commissioner Paul Pelosi, Acting President
SPEAKER: Acting President Commissioner Paul Pelosi
8. DISCUSSION and ACTION: Nomination and Election of Commission President. Nomination and Election of Commission Vice President if necessary.
9. DISCUSSION and ACTION: United Nations World Environment Day Accords—The Commission will consider and vote on Draft Resolution File No. R-2006-02-COE to prioritize three key actions for the first year (Explanatory Documents: Draft Resolution File No. R-2006-02-COE, Urban Environmental Accords Review, Department Memo to the Policy Committee 1/9/06, Recommendations on Accords, and Public Comment).
SPONSOR: Commissioner Johanna Wald
STAFF: Jared Blumenfed, Director
10. INFORMATION: United Nations Opening an Office in San Francisco at 25 Van Ness Avenue (Explanatory Document: Letter from United Nations).
STAFF: Jared Blumenfeld, Director
11. INFORMATION: Interim Audit Report by the City and County of San Francisco’s Controller’s Office.
STAFF: David Assmann, Deputy Director
12. INFORMATION: Update on Refuse Rate Process.
STAFF: David Assmann, Deputy Director
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
§ Communications and Correspondence
§ Update on Pending City Legislation
▪ Chair’s Report: Commissioner Mok will review the agenda for the upcoming meeting on Wednesday, April 19, 2006, 4:00 p.m. to be held at the Department of the Environment, Ground Floor Conference Room.
▪ Chairs Report: Commissioner Wald will highlight the meeting of March 13, 2006 and review the agenda for the upcoming meeting on Monday, April 10, 2006, 5:00 p.m. to be held at City Hall, Room 421.
▪ Jared Blumenfeld, Director, Department of the Environment will give updates on SFE administrative and programmatic operations relating to Budget Planning, Strategic Planning, Climate Division, Outreach and Education Division, Environmental Justice Division, Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction Program, and the Urban Forestry Division.
19. PUBLIC COMMENTS: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Commission’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/environment-commission as attachments to the meeting agenda or minutes, ;(3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@sfgov.org within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Commission after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available at the Commission’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/environment-commission as attachments to the agenda or meeting minutes.
At this time, members of the public may address the Commission on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Commission but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Commission for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the President. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the President may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Commission from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Commission is limited to:
1. Briefly responding to statements made or questions posed by members of the public, or
2. Request staff to report back on a matter at a subsequent meeting, or
3. Directing staff to place the item or issue on a future agenda (Government Code Section 54954.2(a).)
The Commission on the Environment Operations Committee Meeting will be held at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, in the Civic Center area. The meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability accessibility hotline at (415) 554-6060.
Know your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Frank Darby, Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: email@example.com. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 30 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 3900, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 581-2300, fax (415) 581-2317; web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
NOTE: Persons unable to attend the meeting may submit to the Commission on the Environment, by the time the proceedings begin, written comments regarding the agenda items above. These comments will be made a part of the official public record and shall be brought to the attention of the Commission on the Environment members. Any written comments should be sent to: Commission Secretary of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 by 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing. Comments which cannot be delivered to the Commission Secretary by that time may be taken directly to the hearing at the location above.
When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for the Commission, the Commission Secretary and the public.
Posted: March 22, 2006