West Scranton's Fanning hits game-winning shot against Scranton

Shaun Fanning slid to an open area, put up his hands, and Cole Stetzar fired a pass to the burly center.

With the final seconds ticking away, Fanning banked in a layup that sent West Scranton players into a frenzy.

Scranton’s last-second shot attempt failed moments later, and the Invaders came away with a dramatic, 46-45, win over their city rivals Tuesday night in a Lackawanna League Division I boys basketball game.

“It was just crazy,” Fanning said. “It was all from Cole. He saw me right there and it was a great look.

“I just had to finish.”

That game-winning shot capped a big game from Fanning, who scored a game-high 15 points, and three in the final minute.

“It was the greatest feeling,” Fanning said. “It was my first buzzer-beater. My first game-winning shot.

“This is something that I will remember for the rest of my life.”

Along with Fanning’s clutch shot, Stetzar, who had seven assists, and P.J. Hart, who had 12 points, led the spirited effort by the Invaders (6-7 overall, 3-1 in division), who erased a four-point halftime deficit created in part by 13 turnovers.

“This was about coach (Jack Lyons),” Stetzar said. “He told us at halftime to execute the game plan. We were trying to run with them and they are too athletic. That doesn’t work. We slowed it down, used our heads and got easy shots.

“We just played our hearts out.”

Scranton (4-9, 1-3) built an early first-quarter lead as freshman Kyron Harbin had nine points and the team got an emotional lift from the return of Jake McCarthy, who had two points, two assists and two steals in his limited time.

The Knights were able to maintain that advantage through the second quarter as Sadeed Johnson hit for six of his 13 points.

But in the third, West Scranton settled down with Stetzar executing the offense.

The Invaders closed the quarter on an 11-0 run that featured five points from Hart and four from Matt Williams.

“Everything was about our teamwork,” Hart said. “My teammates kept me in the game and kept me focused.

“I do everything for the team.”

Scranton reclaimed momentum at the start of the fourth by scoring the first six points. The Knights took a 35-34 lead on a Shakwon Knights layup.

West Scranton responded as Blake Carlton drilled a 3-pointer and Stetzar hit a pair of free throws.

From there, the teams went toe-to-toe. Knights hit a layup off a Harbin steal and assist to tie the game at 41-41 with 1:45 remaining. Fanning responded with a layup and the teams paraded to the free-throw line for the next minute of play.

Scranton had Harbin hit a pair to tie the game at 43-43, and Matt Hart hit one of two to make it 44-43 with 59 seconds remaining.

Then, Fanning made one and Harbin hit one of two to give Scranton its final lead, 45-44 with 31 seconds, setting up the frantic finish.

“Any time you get a game like that and two teams are battling that hard, every single play matters,” Scranton coach Tony Battaglia said. “They just made more plays at the end than we did.”

Contact the writer:

jbfawcett@timesshamrock.com @JobyFawcett26 on Twitter