Departments‎ > ‎Town Clerk‎ > ‎


The municipal and State of Maine general and referendum elections are held annually on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November. The primary election is held on the second Tuesday in June during even numbered years. The school budget validation referendum is typically held in May.


Polling Place

For the November 7, 2017, Elections, voting will take place at the Scarborough High School, located at 11 Municipal Drive from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM on election days for all Scarborough residents, regardless of ward or precinct.

Voter Registration & Elections

Find out about how to register to vote, enroll in a political party, where to vote, and information about running for a seat on the Town Council or School Committee.

To find out more on Voter Registration, please click the link below - this will take to the Secretary of States webpage.


When can I vote?

Besides Election Day, Scarborough voters can vote early, in-person, prior to an election.

Election Day is Tuesday, November 7, 2017 (voting hours are 7 AM - 8 PM)

Early voting takes place at the Scarborough Town Hall during regular business hours up until the Thursday prior to an Election.

Special Circumstance voting takes place the Friday and Monday prior to any Election.

Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM.  Except for the first and third Wednesdays, we are open until 6:30 PM.


Where can I register to vote?

 Voter Registration is available for new voters or for existing Scarborough voters to change their address or name as follows:

  • At Town Hall during regular business hours, or
  • Please click on the link below and print off the voter registration form. Fill it out and return it to the Clerk's Office along with a copy of your photo ID and something with your Scarborough Address if your photo ID does not have it.

I need an absentee ballot, how do I request one?

To request an absentee ballot:

 The deadline to request an absentee ballot for the November 8th Election is Thursday, November 3rd.


Where can I review the election results?

 Election results will be posted to our website.

Election Workers

The Town of Scarborough relies upon volunteers to help staff Town elections.  If you are interested in becoming a volunteer election worker, click the link below to view the application.

Enrolling in a Political Party

There are three official political parties within the State of Maine - Democrat, Green-Independent, and Republican. Voters have the option to enroll in one of these three parties when registering to vote, but selecting a political party is not required.

The employees in the Scarborough Town Clerk's Office cannot answer questions for citizens regarding the purposes and objectives of the various political parties in Maine; individuals with questions are encouraged to contact the parties directly.

Election Results

Documents are in Adobe PDF format, and may take a few moments to load.
Showing 0 files from page Election Results.


Nomination Papers

Nomination papers are available in the Town Clerk's office on the first Wednesday in August for seats on the Town Council, Board of Education, and the Scarborough Sanitary Board of Trustees. All nomination papers must be returned to the Town Clerk's office by close of business on the first Wednesday of September. If you have any questions, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at 730-4020.

Campaign Finances

Maine Election Law requires municipal candidates in cities and towns with a population of 15,000 or more to disclose their campaign contributions and expenditures, to comply with contribution limitations and prohibitions, and to meet other requirements of the law. These same requirements apply to gubernatorial. legislative, and county candidates running for office.

We urge candidates and their campaign treasurers to become familiar with the laws as early in the campaign as possible. Please remember to:
  • Register on time
  • Read all communications from the municipal clerk
  • Keep detailed records of contributions and expenditures
  • File reports on time 
 Copies of the law may be obtained from the Maine Ethics Commission's web site, link below, or from the Town Clerk's office.