More than 175 Letters Sent in 24 Hours
the Hall of Fame Game
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
More than 175 Letters Sent to MLB, Union, Hall of Fame in Last 24 Hours
WASHINGTON, DC (June 13, 2008) -- With just three days to go until the 2008 Hall of Fame Game in Cooperstown, NY, the savethefamegame.com campaign announced today there have been more than 175 letters emailed to MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, MLB president Bob Dupuy, MLB Players Association chief Donald Fehr and Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson in the last 24 hours, all urging them to reverse the decision to end the annual baseball tradition in Cooperstown after this year.
"Following the campaign's first truly national exposure yesterday in Jayson Stark's ESPN.com column, savethefamegame.com has helped facilitate nearly 200 emails in a 24-hour period, all of them expressing opposition to ending a baseball tradition that has existed since 1940," said savethefamegame.com creator Kristian Connolly.
"I have maintained all along that the support for keeping this great tradition alive would be overwhelming, and that the biggest key was just getting the word out about what MLB and the players union are doing. The flood of support over the last 24 hours has only confirmed my feeling, and I am definitely excited what the upcoming weekend will be able to accomplish toward the ultimate goal of keeping the Hall of Fame Game tradition alive."
Earlier this week, savethefamegame.com announced that is asking fans in attendance at Monday's game to observe a "moment" of silence throughout the bottom half of the third inning, as an appropriate demonstration of opposition to the decision to end the Hall of Fame Game after this year.
"We hope that fans will still sit and enjoy the action between the Cubs and Padres during the bottom of the third, but we ask them to do so without cheering, clapping, applauding or making any other noises for just one-half inning," said Connolly. "Before and after, we hope fans will be as boisterous and excited about cheering on the teams and players as they would normally be.
"A period of silence by almost 10,000 fans during the game will appropriately demonstrate to Major League Baseball and the Players Association that their decision to end a nearly 70-year-old tradition is silencing and turning off baseball fans, and it will appropriately remind MLB, the MLBPA and the players that the fans are the heart and soul of their game, and without them, the game suffers.
"With a national television audience on WGN, the 'moment' of silence will be a powerful expression of baseball fans' displeasure with the way that the leaders of the sport ignore them when making their decisions, and we hope it will inspire those not in Cooperstown that day to visit savethefamegame.com to let their voices be heard."
The savethefamegame.com campaign was launched earlier this year, following the announcement by Major League Baseball that the 2008 Hall of Fame Game is to be the final such game played, ending a tradition that began in 1940. The site allows people the opportunity to send an email to Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig, MLB chief operating officer Bob Dupuy, Major League Baseball Players Association head Donald Fehr and Hall of Fame President Jeff Idelson, urging them to reinstate the Hall of Fame Game as an annual part of the baseball calendar.