The goals is to become a critical thinker of literature and non-fiction, learn how to write a variety of genres, and utilize strategies to be better spellers, readers, and writers:
- Learn spelling strategies and apply them to our writing.
- Learn etymology (origin of words) and morphology (structure of words) as it applies to our unit so that we can be better spellers and readers.
- Learn new vocabulary and appy it to our writing for the unit.
- Analyze and evaluate reading selections.
- Connect reading to our lives, the world, and other texts.
- Read books we choose and ones that are required to build vocabulary and critical thinking skills.
- Keep track of our progress as a reader and writer.
- Write in a variety of genres, emulating models.