Talk up Math!
Do these fun exercises together!
- Start a coin jar (count the coins, roll coins with coin wrappers)
- Add and subtract with Cheerios...do fractions with a pizza
- Keep a height chart for family members
- Tell time using clocks with hands
- Estimate the cost of a restaurant bill—calculate the tip for the meal.
- Plan how much food to buy for a party
- Calculate the cost of one day...one week...one month of school lunch
- Estimate the number of miles driven in X hours
- Estimate the time needed to get to your destination
- Figure the amount of gas you can buy with X amount of money
- Figure out what your change should be after making a purchase in the store
- Help measure ingredients while cooking...double or half the recipe
- Estimate the cost of groceries
- Play games—like Racko (Hasbro) or Yahtzee
- Practice multiplication facts while bounding a basketball or riding in the car
Favorite Math Sites
Explains math concepts. Free timed flashcard program (go to "numbers" then "multiplication" then scroll down to "math trainer")
Math concepts explained
Links to practice sheets, games, manipulatives
Family math activities
For parent information (helping with homework, etc.)
Math terms, activities…good for every math class
Games, word problems, logic puzzles, math videos based on actual questions sent in by students
Mathematical concepts are explained in these short screencasts.
Math activities and games, graphing, calculators