What is PowerSchool Parent Portal?
1. What is PowerSchool?
PowerSchool is a student information system that allows HBHS to manage a wide range of information about the student (e.g., grades, attendance, demographics, courses/classes, etc.)
2. What is the PowerSchool Parent Portal?
The parent portal is a way to provide parents real-time access to grades and attendance through PowerSchool. The access is provided to parents as another form of communication with teachers and is designed to support a student’s education.
3. What records are available via the portal?
4. Is the parent portal secure?
Powerschool is a VERY secure program and is made by the largest student information company in the world.
5. Will there be more information placed on the parent portal in the future?
Yes. As the parent portal is further developed, additional features will come online.
6. Will this access replace Report Cards, Progress Reports and Monitoring Reports?
Yes. However, quarterly report cards, progress reports and monitoring reports will be available to parents per request through the Registrar’s Office (465-2269 x126).
7. How can I access my student’s grades if I do not have internet access?
Computers are available at the public libraries. Quarterly report cards, progress reports and monitoring reports will continue to be available upon request through the Registrar’s Office (465-2269 x126).
Access to PowerSchool Parent Portal
8. How do I access PowerSchool?
PowerSchool is accessible from the HBHS website. Each student/family will be issued a login id and password by the school. If you have 2 or more students enrolled at HBHS, you will receive a separate login id and password for each student.
9. If I have problems logging into the parent portal, how do I get help?
While HBHS does not provide technical support for your home/work computer system, support for login questions will be available. Requests should be made using the email account available on the Powerschool link on the HBHS website.
10. What do I do if I forgot my login information or my username/password has been compromised?
11. Can other people see my student’s grades?
No. As long as you protect your username and password, others will not be able to see your student’s information.
12. Can I still access my student’s grades after they become 18 years of age?
When students become eighteen years of age, they gain control over access to their PowerSchool data. By law, it becomes the student’s decision whether or not his or her parents have access to this information. Students who wish to restrict online access to their PowerSchool data should meet with their administrator. Parents will be notified if a student requests parent access to be disabled. Families are asked to discuss this matter in advance.
More Information about Grades
13. Do all teachers post grade and attendance information to PowerSchool?
14. How often can we expect grades to be updated?
15. Who should I contact if I have a question about grades as they appear in PowerSchool?
We recommend the following steps:
16. Do all teachers calculate the grade in the same way?
No. Teachers use different grading techniques and policies. Students are provided with this information in the syllabus distributed the first week of school. Some assignments and/or categories may be weighted differently than others. Therefore simple arithmetic average of grades may not reflect the student’s actual grade.
NOTE: Grades can change dramatically in the first few weeks of each quarter. In the beginning, you may see numerous changes in the class average of your student. This is because when there are only one or two assignments in the gradebook, a low or high score can make a dramatic change in the overall grade.
17. Some teachers weight different categories of grades. How does this affect how a grade is calculated?
Some teachers calculate grades by total points, and others use categories such as tests, quizzes homework, daily work to organize and give different weights to grades; how teachers weight grades is an individual decision. To understand a specific grade calculation, please contact the individual teacher.
18. Do all teachers use the same grade scale?
Yes. This information is available in the student handbook and on the school website.
19. Does PowerSchool provide information about GPAs and Class rank?
No. GPA continuously changes based on current grades. Class rank is determined at the end of the student’s junior year and 3rd quarter of the senior year. Any further information is available through the Guidance Office.
More Information about Attendance
20. How often can we expect attendance to be updated?
Attendance is updated daily. Unexcused absences may take a few extra days to be updated (changed to excused) depending on the number of absences, promptness of the parent excuse note and/or day of the week.
21. Who should I contact if I have a question about attendance?