Description of Course: The Physical Education curriculum at Newfound Regional School District is based on the New Hampshire K-12 Physical Education Curriculum Guidelines. The curriculum provides cognitive content and learning experiences in a variety of activity areas. The Physical Education program promotes optimum physical, mental, emotional and social development and provides activities and sports that all students can enjoy and pursue throughout their lives.
The Physical Education department emphasizes skill assessment through the use of competencies aligned with New Hampshire Curriculum Guidelines and National Physical Education Standards. Students should expect to participate as a means of proving their ability and competency in the following areas...
1. The physically literate individual will demonstrate competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
2. The physically literate individual will demonstrate knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
3. The physically literate individual will demonstrate knowledge of skills to achieve and maintain health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
4. The physically literate individual will exhibit responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
5. The physically literate individual will recognize the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.