- Salem City Schools will open a VPI (Virginia Preschool Initiative) preschool class for four-year-olds at East Salem Elementary School in September of 2016. Students must live in the East Salem attendance zone to attend this program. Click here for more details. Click here for the application.
- Congratulations to seven Salem High School students who won first place in the District Skills USA competitions held earlier this year. These seven students just traveled to the State Skills USA competitions in Fredericksburg this month and competed for state titles in their chosen trade or skill. Two of these SHS students came home with first place finishes and state championship titles. Shawn McNeill II won the Auto Maintenance competition and Ben Kennedy won the Extemporaneous Speaking competition. Kennedy will now move on to the National level in June in Louisville. Both Shawn and Ben are enrolled in the Automotive Technology class taught by Salem Teacher of the year Derek Wray.
- See a photo of them on our Quality Profile or on the Facebook page shown on the right.
- Salem City Schools strives to provide a high level of stakeholder engagement in its planning efforts. In February the division conducted parent, student, and employee climate surveys to measure stakeholder satisfaction. These surveys included items for respondents to provide open-ended feedback regarding strengths and opportunities for improvement. The Division also hosted screenings of Most Likely to Succeed for faculty and staff on March 4 and the community on March 7. These screenings included opportunities for stakeholders to express opinions and ask questions about the future of education in the SCS. Please review the documents and if you feel that there are additional priorities or areas for improvement that should be considered for inclusion, please respond by email including as much information as possible along with your contact information so that we may contact you if we need additional information or clarification.
- Kindergarten Registration information for the 2016-2017 school year.
- The Salem Educational Foundation awarded the inaugural Cox-Hurley-Rowe Professional Development/Education Scholarship to two South Salem teachers. Click to read the full recognition
- The Board and School administration recognized and congratulated Connie Ramsey and Angela Schuyler-Meadows for receiving the National Board Certification for School Nurses.Click to read more.
ALMS student Christian Crawley was honored for representing the school division at the State Geography Bee.In addition, SHS students, Jacob Beedle and Madolyn Legg, were recognized for their First Place finishes at the recent Governor’s School Project Forum competition.Click to read more.
- Salem City Schools Board Approved SY2016-2017 Calendar.
- The Salem City School Division is pleased to announce that Superintendent, Dr. Alan Seibert, has been named the Virginia’s Curriculum Leader of the Year. Read the full release.
- Of the 132 school divisions in the Commonwealth of Virginia, SCS has been named as one of the "Top 10" school districts!! See all NICHE listings here.
- Division Goals and Objectives 2015-2016.
- Salem City Schools 2016 Legislative Priorities
- Older news is available here.