Home‎ > ‎Ideas for Teachers‎ > ‎

RU World Ready - Landmark Games Presentation

The papers below are designed to help teachers with the paperwork process of having more than one group participating in the Kidlink Landmark Games in February.

I had five classes of teams participating in the Games.  In order to keep my sanity, I had to create a system to manage 5 classes, the clues, their answers and questions, and other team answers and questions.

To begin, each class worked to identify the world landmark that they really liked.  Each student group (my classes are in groups of 3-4 students) submitted ideas by using my websites to look for ideas.  The groups could also look at other sites.  (See Landmark Research Decisions Websites below).

Once the class voted on their favorite landmark, the student groups began to research that landmark and identify interesting clues.  (See Landmark Clues Development)  Each group submitted their clue ideas.  Then the next day I had all of the clues listed in a table boxes.  The students then worked as a class to identify 9 clues they would submit for the game.  Group consensus was achieved through discussion of which clues were too obvious, which clues were too vague, and so on.  Sometimes a class had to pull out computers and do more research.  Several teams got smart and had me paste all 9 of their clues into google to see if the clues gave away their landmark too easily.  (see World Landmark 5th period example)

While we waited for the first set of clues to be released, I set up a file folder for each class.  

In the folder went the following items:
  • Once the teams were released - I created a list of every team and week 1,2, and 3 questions.  (See Weekly Checklist)  This was used to keep track of whether that team had already asked their weekly question for that class.  This 3 page document became cumbersome and so next year I will create a table with the same information but on one page.  My original idea was to write their questions down so the classes would know if a team was figuring it out.  But that isn't necessary.
  • Once the first set of three clues were released, I created a page for every team with their first 3 clues and the question (week 1, 2, and 3) slots, and the final answer slot.  These pages were then used by the classes to write down research notes and submit the questions to me.  This made it much easier to email the other teams.  Additionally, I made a landmark group with emails in my email account.  (See Landmark game week 1 clues example)  My class sizes ranged from 7 to 28.  Thus, often a different student would be working on the clues from the first researcher.  By having the notes from the first researcher, that student was able to continue working.  This also taught my students to be very detailed in their notes.
  • As additional clues were released each week, I would then print the clues and glue the 6 and then 9 clues onto the blank parts of the pages that contained the first 3 clues.  This helped cut down on extra paper.  (see Week 3 clues example)
Should you have questions or wish to have the Word document for anything below, please email me - jpainter@salem.k12.va.us

To access this page - http://tinyurl.com/RUWorldReady

Ċ
Judith Painter,
Aug 12, 2016, 6:06 PM
ĉ
Judith Painter,
Feb 13, 2017, 4:54 AM
Ċ
Judith Painter,
Aug 12, 2016, 6:06 PM
Ċ
Judith Painter,
Aug 12, 2016, 6:13 PM
Ċ
Judith Painter,
Aug 12, 2016, 6:06 PM
Ċ
Judith Painter,
Aug 12, 2016, 6:06 PM
Ċ
Judith Painter,
Aug 12, 2016, 6:06 PM
Comments