A Health promoting school focuses on four key areas:
- Partnerships ( involving parents and outside agencies)
- Policy ( development of new policies and redrafting of existing policies)
- Curriculum (through the teaching of S.P.H.E. )
- The School Environment (the physical and social environment in the school).
Since 2009, our school has been involved in the Healthy Schools Programme.
Central to the programme is the formation of a voluntary committee of students and a parents’ representative, who help to promote health-related themes. Questionnaires are distributed to the student body to decide on a theme for each year. This ensures that there is whole school involvement in the project.
Since becoming a Health Promoting School,we have won two awards for our work on previous themes : Nutrition and Substance Use.
Activities For The 2013/2014 School Year
This year the committee has been focussing on promoting positive mental health.Its proposals for the year are :
1. To provide Junior Cert/ Leaving students with a study skills booklet ,which would also contain tips on positive mental health.
2. To hold an art competition for all years –the theme of which will be positive mental health.
3. To provide a comment box within the school to allow students to make helpful suggestions about the school environment.