First graders are learning to:
- Quickly recognize the 100 high frequency words they know while reading continuous text.
- Use knowledge of letters, letter clusters, word patterns, and known words to solve words while reading continuous text.
- Use knowledge of letters, sounds, and words to monitor and correct their reading.
- Check letter / sound and words knowledge against meaning and a sense of language structure so that their reading makes sense, sounds right, and looks right.
- Notice, make sense of, and learn the meaning of new words as they encounter them in reading.
- Notice and use simple punctuation as a guide to phrasing and reading for meaning.