1. Process: Students will be able to plan for purpose and audience: write, edit, revise then rewrite or plan a new approach to create a publishable document.
I can use pre-writing strategies to formulate ideas.
I can make use of the writing process to construct text for an intended audience.
I can examine my writing to determine if my purpose and audience have been fully addressed and revise when necessary.
I can construct a document that is fit for sharing with an audience outside of the classroom.
2. Product: Students will be able to select and synthesize information in order to develop a claim, argument or idea that relies on valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
I can select information relevant to a topic.
I can use information relevant to a topic to identify a position or idea.
I can prioritize relevant information to support a perspective.
I can justify my perspective by acknowledging opposing perspectives
or by choosing details that solidify my position or ideas.
3. Product: Students will be able to organize using transitions so that elements develop and conclude.
* Need exemplars for consistent scoring and demonstration of levels of proficiency
I can use transition words and phrases.
I can select words, phrases, and clauses to prioritize ideas and concepts.
I can develop relationships between ideas and concepts to create a coherent whole.
I can adapt my language to maximize the clarity of ideas and concepts .
4. Product: Students will be able to assess the usefulness and credibility of each source, noting discrepancies and agreement among sources. (ALL)
I can select sources related to my topic.
I can examine sources to determine if they are not only credible, but also useful to me.
I can determine the strengths and limitations of sources, paying attention to where they agree and disagree.
I can choose and synthesize the sources that best fit my purpose, task, and audience.
5. Product: Students will be able to avoid plagiarism by following a standard MLA format for citation. ALL
I can identify information that should be cited in my work.
I can use a strategy to give credit to the sources where I found words or ideas.
I can demonstrate different ways to give credit for words and ideas that I find.
I can use a range of strategies to give credit to sources where I found words or ideas.