Frequently Asked Questions

What time does school start and end?  
The school day begins at 8:20 AM and ends at 3:30 PM.

How early may students enter the building in the morning?  
Students may enter the cafeteria at 7:45 AM where teachers are on duty to supervise. Sixth and seventh graders who are not eating breakfast on campus should report directly to their grade hallway when they arrive at school.  Students will sit against the wall until they are released for first period.  Eighth graders should report to the cafeteria or outside the cafeteria when they arrive on campus.

May students bring backpacks to school?  
Students may use backpacks to take items to and from school.  Once at school, backpacks must be stored in lockers throughout the day and may not be taken to class. **NEW: STRING BACKPACKS MAY BE USED TO CARRY SMALL ITEMS BETWEEN CLASSES.**  Wheeled backpacks do not fit in lockers.

Will I need to provide a lock for my child’s locker?  
No, students are required to use school-issued locks on all school lockers (i.e., hallway lockers, athletic lockers, band/orchestra lockers.)  Students should never share their combinations with anyone or share their lockers with anyone as they are responsible for all items in their lockers.

Where do I drop off and pick up my child?  
Before school, both lanes on the Racine side of the building (outside the cafeteria) are open for parents to drop off their children.  Please pull up to the cross walk closest to the gym before letting your child get out of the vehicle.  The entrance on Cornerwood is used for bus drop off in the morning.  After school, the outside lane (closest to Racine) is the pick up lane for parents.  The lane closest to the cafeteria and the lane on Cornerwood are used for bus pick up in the afternoon.

How long do students have for lunch?
Students have a 26-minute lunch period.  During the first week of school, students will have more time to eat if they bring their lunch.  Students will use their I.D. numbers to open lunch accounts and make purchases.  Microwaves are available for student use in the cafeteria.  We have grade level lunches at Cedar Valley.

May I eat lunch with my child?  
Parents are always welcome to join their children for lunch.  Adult siblings (18 years of age or older) may also eat lunch with their brothers/sisters.  For the safety of our students and staff, all visitors to the campus are required to show state-issued identification in the office in order to receive a visitor’s badge at the secured entrance before entering the hallways or cafeteria.

Who do I call if I have questions about my child’s lunch account or purchases?  
Lin Daniel, our cafeteria manager, will assist you with these questions.  Ms. Daniel may be reached at 428-2357.

What do I need to do if my child needs to attend an appointment off-campus during the school day?  
Please send a note with your child indicating what time he/she needs to meet you at the attendance office.  Instruct your child to present the note to the receptionist before school starts for her signature.  When it is time for your child to meet you in the attendance office, he/she may show the note to the teacher to be dismissed from class.  You must sign your child out of school at the attendance office.  You will be required to show state-issued identification when you sign your child out.

Do I have to sign my child back into school when he/she returns from an off-campus appointment?  
No, your child may sign back into school at the attendance office upon his/her return to school.

Does my child need to bring his/her textbooks home everyday?  
The textbooks issued to your child are meant to be left at home for use there.  Teachers have class sets of textbooks in their classrooms for school use.  The only exception to this is math textbooks and foreign language textbooks.  These books will need to brought to and from school daily as class sets are not available for school use.

Why does my child need an I.D.?  
Students need their I.D. cards whenever they access the Internet at school on school computers.  They will also need their I.D.s to check out books in the library and when they attend school dances.  Students may need their I.D.s to ride school buses to and from school.

When and where does my child get an I.D.?
I.D.s are made in the library during advisory.  I.D.s for new 6th graders will be made after the start of the school year.  There is a $5 replacement charge for lost I.D.s.

How do I know which bus my child rides and what time it picks up and drops off?  
Go to the School and Bus Route Locator page.  Type in your address and zip code, and your bus stop along with A.M. and P.M. pick-up and drop-off times will be displayed.

What does my child need to do if he/she wants to ride home with a friend on a bus that he/she usually does not ride?  
Please send a note on the day your child wants to ride with his/her name, the name of the friend, and the bus # or bus animal.  Instruct your child to bring the note to the main office before school so that the receptionist can get it approved through the Transportation Department.  Approval is based on seating availability on the bus.  This approval process takes some time, and your child will not be able to ride if he waits until the end of the day to get the note approved.

Are students required to shower after physical education classes?  
No, time is not built into the class for students to shower.  However, it is recommended that students bring roll-on deodarant and/or cleansing towlettes to freshen up after P.E.

Will students be required to go outside for P.E. in bad weather?  
Students in P.E. should bring proper clothing for prevailing weather conditions.  While students are typically not sent out in rainy conditions, they will be sent out in drizzle, cool weather, and warm weather.  If the temperature is below freezing, students will not be sent outside.  If the temperature is excessively warm, the coaches will take precautions to ensure students have opportunities to get water and stay hydrated. View the RRISD Heat Index Policy.

How do I know what homework my child has?  
Cedar Valley sells a student planner, which all sixth grade students are required to purchase and all other students are encouraged to purchase and use to record their daily assignments.  Each teacher also keeps a web page with his/her homework assignments and upcoming tests updated weekly. Teachers post assignments on their individual pages that can be found here.  If you have a specific question, you may e-mail the teacher directly.

How do I request homework if my child is going to be absent for an extended amount of time? 
If your child is going to be out of school for 3 or more days, you may request his/her assignments by calling the main school number (428-2300).  Assignments will be available for pick up in the main office 24 hours after the request is made.  Homework assignments will also be listed on the teacher’s web page.