CNC Project‎ > ‎

First Day, Z axis. Yeah, it got heavy...

posted Jan 13, 2012, 9:57 PM by Christopher Robinson
Ah yes! I cut metal and stuck it together today.

I made the decision to start with the z axis and work my way out. I assembled a working Z axis and was able to attach it to the X axis glides. The functionality is perfect, the linear glides are like glass but I gotta say, the thing weighs a lot... Like a whole lot.
 

I ended up building an extremely strong and ridged frame, and I found myself quite happy with my methods of aligning, securing and welding. The thing is solid, square and parallel. Once again, and I can't stress this enough, heavy. More to the point, massive. One of the original goals here was to make a machine that can 3D print and I just can't seem to imagine this 30 lbs chunk of mass flying back and forth like a RepRap. When I mill, I can simply put up with longer acceleration curves and slower feedrates but with printing, I think I may get to the point where prints are so painfully slow that they are not practical.  Then again, maybe this is what all CNC machines weigh... 

Issue number 2 is the fact that the bracket is quite thick. It stands 3" or 4" away from the X axis rails, and we'll have another 6" or so tacked on to that when the router gets attached. 


Onward and upward.
All in all, I am pretty happy with today's work. I have a new angle to try tomorrow and is probably the direction I should have gone in the first place. I guess we will see.


Comments